Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad water pump & oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad water pump & oil leaks

Hi all,

My Allroad is at 103,000 mi. I took it in to the dealership which has always treated me fairly in the past to have my front air suspension looked at and have the 105 service. Not a big surprise that they were both slow leaking as it's been an issue on and off for several months now.

What troubled me was the other issues that came up (a variety of leaks) and most importantly a seaping water pump. Part of the reason this has come up I think is because my Service Advisor is a new young guy instead of my usual go-to guy who moved to another Audi dealership in the SF Bay Area (no room to move up for him there so moved on).

The water pump was replaced at the same dealership with the timing belt etc. at 75K in February 2009. I'm troubled that less than 30K later it's having issues. In my mind, there's no logical reason this should be happening so soon - if it had gone atleast 50K I wouldn't be so hesitant. Am I being reasonable? I intend to talk with the Service Manager and see the issue with the water pump first hand.

Oil leaks reported include:
  • Turbo return line O-ring leaks (need to find out how the tech spotted this as I understand it's pretty tight to even see this)
  • Valve cover gaskets and Cam Adjuster Seals

These leaks are common from what I've read. My understanding is that if I do end up having the water pump & timing belt replaced again, I should be able to save on labour to tackle some of those leaks?

Also, it probably makes sense at this point to go to an independent garage and have them also take a look before going any further if I had to guess.

Thanks for advising on saving on labour and the quick wear of the water pump,

Kevin

Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by kmarkl
Hi all,

My Allroad is at 103,000 mi. I took it in to the dealership which has always treated me fairly in the past to have my front air suspension looked at and have the 105 service. Not a big surprise that they were both slow leaking as it's been an issue on and off for several months now.

What troubled me was the other issues that came up (a variety of leaks) and most importantly a seaping water pump. Part of the reason this has come up I think is because my Service Advisor is a new young guy instead of my usual go-to guy who moved to another Audi dealership in the SF Bay Area (no room to move up for him there so moved on).

The water pump was replaced at the same dealership with the timing belt etc. at 75K in February 2009. I'm troubled that less than 30K later it's having issues. In my mind, there's no logical reason this should be happening so soon - if it had gone atleast 50K I wouldn't be so hesitant. Am I being reasonable? I intend to talk with the Service Manager and see the issue with the water pump first hand.

Oil leaks reported include:
  • Turbo return line O-ring leaks (need to find out how the tech spotted this as I understand it's pretty tight to even see this)
  • Valve cover gaskets and Cam Adjuster Seals

These leaks are common from what I've read. My understanding is that if I do end up having the water pump & timing belt replaced again, I should be able to save on labour to tackle some of those leaks?

Also, it probably makes sense at this point to go to an independent garage and have them also take a look before going any further if I had to guess.

Thanks for advising on saving on labour and the quick wear of the water pump,

Kevin
The water pump yes is too soon for a failure. The true fact is the dealer will probably not do anything. I have to seen myself water pumps failing prematurely. Not sure the reason for i use high quality German made parts & it still happens occasionally.
As far as the oil leaks , the dealer tech knows where the leaks occur on these engines. All that are mentioned are very common.
I would personally try & find an independent Euro repair shop. They would most likely be less expensive & i am sure they could save you a bundle on your air suspension if they use Arnott struts.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

The tech showed me exactly what he saw to determine there was a coolant leak:

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  148.9 KB

Obviously there's something going on. Whether it's the water pump, I'm still not certain. The radiator was replaced about 1 year ago due to a small fender bender so this could be an issue that tracks back to this.

Either way, I'm bringing it to a good independent audi shop tomorrow to sort things out from here on out.