Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Banging noise --

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 AM
m_b
Default Banging noise --

Help needed.

I have a 02 All Road 60,000 on the clock – When driving on a concrete road you can hear a banging noise coming from the front on the car. (I’ll try and get a recording of it)
Its does sound like a metal on metal noise, but only happens on a concrete road.

When driving on a tar covered road you can’t hear the noise, plus you have to have the windows down to hear the noise, the noise can be heard from both the passenger side and the driver’s side.

If the windows are up you don’t hear a thing, great but doesn’t solve the problem.

Now I have had the car back with the dealer, and they have replaced the front air bags as they were also acting up. But they can’t find what is causing the banging noise
The front tracking rods were checked and appeared fine, and they tighten up things up in the engine bay, but they can’t find what is causing thenoise.

My main concern is, is the car safe to drive?, the banging noise doesn’t seem to effect the steering and the car feels solid and is running great without any other problems.
I fear that one day I’ll be driving along and some major part decides to fall off the front and cause a crash or something like that.

Help - anyone any ideas?

MB
Dublin--

Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Banging noise --

check all the mounts and make sure those are good. Tire rods? My a4 always made those noises and it was the damn typical audi problem, control arms.