Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Ride Height Setting

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Question Ride Height Setting

What ride height setting do you guys generally use for daily driving? I have mine in the 2nd lowest setting (what the manual says is normal height), but I'm wondering if it should be set differently.
I just got back from my 40K service at the dealership and the height was set in the 3rd setting. It seems that whenever I have work done on the car, I get it back in the 3rd setting. Is this where it belongs for some reason? Does the self leveling function work better in the 3rd setting?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I run at the lowest unless I'm towing then pos 2.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM
1st Gear
Default 2nd level

I drive in the 2nd level, mainly because I read that staying in the lowest level put's more pressure on the air suspension bags leading to leaks. The higher the level, the less weight on the bags.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by smwkobi
I drive in the 2nd level, mainly because I read that staying in the lowest level put's more pressure on the air suspension bags leading to leaks. The higher the level, the less weight on the bags.
I ran mine in the lowest setting for over 100k no problems.I then bought a trailer and have been towing alot.I tow in #2 position.Now I have a bag leaking if I leave it in #1 position.I would say there is more pressure in a higher position.You have more air pressure.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

who's knows, I guess the bags are going to go when they are going to go. Car sure looks better in the lowest position.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Wouldn't physics dictate that the air pressure in the bags is determined by the weight of the vehicle and contents. I mean, I realize that the pump adds air to raise the car, but the weight resting on the bags hasn't changed. This is making my brain hurt...time for more Bourbon.

That said, I ride around town in level 2 because of potholes and speed bumps. I lower to level 1 on the highway for handling and gas mileage. I put in into level 4 every once in a while just because I can.

Cheers,

jf

Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

if you put it in level 4 or 3 it lowers but it self after it reaches a speed
right?
or mine does anyway

Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by incrementalg
.It seems that whenever I have work done on the car, I get it back in the 3rd setting. Is this where it belongs for some reason? Does the self leveling function work better in the 3rd setting?
Same here, ive noticed that every time the vehicle is put in jack mode (its put in jack mode from level 2 where i normally drive) and lifted off the ground, then lowered back down, it resides in 3rd position. heres me guessing, because it senses that increase in pressure upon lowering back down it then puts itself into a safe position so to not cause any damage, that's my outta the a$$ guesstimate???

Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 PM

I've also read that the reason it causes damage in level 1, is because you are letter air outta the bag, decreasing the volume, so that bag sinks itself lower onto the bell. and if that bell is covered with any road debris, dirt or whatever, it will rub the bag and eventually cause those leaks. so its good to keep them clean and free of debris and dirt.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by white fish
if you put it in level 4 or 3 it lowers but it self after it reaches a speed
right?
or mine does anyway
yes i cant member the intervals at which it does this. i think it lowers itself from 2 to 1 after driving continuously for either 60 or 120 secs. at 75 mph. i cant member, its listed in the owners manual and im too lazy to walk downstairs and get mine at the moment. and then once you slow down to a certain speed for 120 seconds (i think) it will if it self back into level 2.

Quick Reply: Ride Height Setting