Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2 A3 noob questions not answered in noob thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Default 2 A3 noob questions not answered in noob thread

Hi:

I recently purchased an 06 A3 2.0T (Lava Gray with Premium pkg) with over 65k miles on it. I had a dealer check it out and they gave it the thumbs up, mechanically. I have noticed two things that may or may not be "normal", so I thought I'd pose the questions here:

1) Engine tapping noise at idle. Perhaps it's because the car otherwise idles so quietly, but there's a distinct tapping noise when idling that you can hear from inside the car. I checked around on the web and it was suggested that this is just the normal sound of the direct injection. Can other owners here confirm this?

2) Grabby brakes. I've gotten used to it, but I found the pedal effort suprisingly light and abrupt...I had to learn to be pretty delicate with my foot not to produce jerky stops. Is this normal, or perhaps the result of different pads?

I have ordered a Grom Audio I-Pod adapter and stereo removal tools from EBay for about $80 and am going to try installing it myself...I will let everyone know how that works out.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2 A3 noob questions not answered in noob thread

ORIGINAL: phila1776

Hi:

I recently purchased an 06 A3 2.0T (Lava Gray with Premium pkg) with over 65k miles on it. I had a dealer check it out and they gave it the thumbs up, mechanically. I have noticed two things that may or may not be "normal", so I thought I'd pose the questions here:

1) Engine tapping noise at idle. Perhaps it's because the car otherwise idles so quietly, but there's a distinct tapping noise when idling that you can hear from inside the car. I checked around on the web and it was suggested that this is just the normal sound of the direct injection. Can other owners here confirm this?

2) Grabby brakes. I've gotten used to it, but I found the pedal effort suprisingly light and abrupt...I had to learn to be pretty delicate with my foot not to produce jerky stops. Is this normal, or perhaps the result of different pads?

I have ordered a Grom Audio I-Pod adapter and stereo removal tools from EBay for about $80 and am going to try installing it myself...I will let everyone know how that works out.
1) Light tapping sound from the engine is normal. When I first got my A3, I thought it sounded like a really really quiet diesel. If the tapping is not coming from the engine, but somewhere from the passenger side, then it is not right. I believe that is a fuel line rattling around (haven't experienced that muhself, so I am going from memory from what I have read on the various forums.

2) The brakes take some getting used to. But don't be too light on them, otherwise they will glaze over and start squealing. Go out to an isolated area and stop from various speeds so you can learn (and get used to) the cars various handling characteristics. Include a few abrupt 60-5mph "slowdowns" (without actually coming to a stop) to heat the brakes up and get rid of/prevent the squealing.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

If the tapping is not coming from the engine, but somewhere from the passenger side, then it is not right. I believe that is a fuel line rattling around
The fuel line rattle is quite distinct, seems to be coming from the glove box area, and goes away as soon as the engine is rev'd above 1000 rpm or so. It is also a very easy fix, as described here:

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/01/...attle-fix.html

Here's a great collection of A3 DIY tips:

http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html

Unfortunately, none of those tips say how to "solve" the touchy brakes. The recommendations I received from this forum were:

Brake bushing kit from Tyrolsport
Akebono ceramic pads

I've done the first, but they didn't do much (by themselves), and I'm flip-flopping on stainless steel brake lines. Somebody suggested Motul 5.1 brake fluid, too.

Anybody out there know ifthe A3 3.2's have a similar brake feel?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

I think it's the direct injection, which is more diesel-y way to do things in the IC world. Mine does it too.

Every vehicle is different in the brake feel. Adjustments are always possible.

It'll work fine, no need to report on that one

Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: dfrost

If the tapping is not coming from the engine, but somewhere from the passenger side, then it is not right. I believe that is a fuel line rattling around
The fuel line rattle is quite distinct, seems to be coming from the glove box area, and goes away as soon as the engine is rev'd above 1000 rpm or so. It is also a very easy fix, as described here:

[URL=http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/01/fuel-line-rattle-fix.html]http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/01/fuel-line-rattle-fix.html[/linka]
Those are EXACTLY the symptoms..thanks for the link! I'm just glad to know it's not an internal engine issue.

Here's a great collection of A3 DIY tips:

http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html

Unfortunately, none of those tips say how to "solve" the touchy brakes. The recommendations I received from this forum were:

Brake bushing kit from Tyrolsport
Akebono ceramic pads

I've done the first, but they didn't do much (by themselves), and I'm flip-flopping on stainless steel brake lines. Somebody suggested Motul 5.1 brake fluid, too.

Anybody out there know if the A3 3.2's have a similar brake feel?
[/quote]

Ok, I may try the brushing, but again, it's good to know that this is "normal" for the A3.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: w@ntonsoup

It'll work fine, no need to report on that one
Good to know...if you or anyone else has any links to step-by-step instructions or tips, that would be great! How long does it take? The dealer wanted anywhere from 1 to 3 hours (at $95/hr) labor to do it, depending on who I talked to there.