Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2003 Audi A3 - Loss of Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 Audi A3 - Loss of Coolant

Hi. I have a 2003 Audi A3 2.0L TDI, the 140 bhp model, and I’m loosing coolant somewhere!!
I brought the car in February based on the model and the engine as they run "forever" but loosing coolant somewhere . I've taken this too a garage and they have pressure tested the engine, and there are no external leaks.
They said "there are tiny bubbles in the expansion bottle which could mean there is a crack in the head and the pistons are moving so vigorously they are pushing the bubbles up in the system and into the expansion bottle".

Looking for advise; does this sound right, and is there anything I should be checking first before the possibility of spending an absolute fortune on parts and labour?!?! ?! HELP!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Hello.
The pressure test should really have found the leak. Maybe they didn't test for long enough or notice the tiny pressure drop if it’s a small one.

If there are bubbles in the expansion bottle when the car is running then there's a serious problem such as headgasket. Google about checking the coolant for bubbles. It wont work when cold, needs to be part warmed up but google the procedure as it's very dangerous to just pop the lid off when the car is hot so be careful.

How is the exhaust? Quite smokey/steamy when properly hot? Sniff it, if it is sweet smelling then the car is burning coolant. Might be tricky on a diesel to not smell the derv :-)

Second check is look under the oil filler cap and on the dipstick for any mayo type deposits. If nothing then try one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU76osq6BRk
You should be able to find one on ebay or a car supplier for less than £35.

These checks should give you a good idea and all but the combustion check are free.

How much coolant are you using?

Last edited by mikiejack; 11-23-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

2003 audi A3 1.6L . Oil in coolant.No emulsification of oil.Overheating.Suspect cylinder head gasket.Overflom/recirculation tank bubbles vigorously throughing out water shortly after starting engine.PLEASE replly with best and worst probabilities

Old 12-18-2010, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dazS84
Hi. I have a 2003 Audi A3 2.0L TDI, the 140 bhp model, and I’m loosing coolant somewhere!!
I brought the car in February based on the model and the engine as they run "forever" but loosing coolant somewhere . I've taken this too a garage and they have pressure tested the engine, and there are no external leaks.
They said "there are tiny bubbles in the expansion bottle which could mean there is a crack in the head and the pistons are moving so vigorously they are pushing the bubbles up in the system and into the expansion bottle".

Looking for advise; does this sound right, and is there anything I should be checking first before the possibility of spending an absolute fortune on parts and labour?!?! ?! HELP!!!
Unfortunatley the 2.0 tdi engine has 'porus cylinder head problems' theres a few car affected more a4's than a3's,when you start the car in the morning is it a little noiser than normal for a few seconds?

Last edited by vw754; 12-18-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your responses.

No white Mayo (ish) solution, so coolant isn't getting into the oil.
I've had a similar product to Steel Seal put in the radiator coolant, and that's stopped the leak; so it's the gasket or a porous head. I wasn't loosing that much coolant (dropping below the minimum and re-filling to just over the maximum and took roughly a week to drop again), no sweet smell from the fumes (as i could tell) and no more smoke than usual in the morning, even though it has been cold.

It is slightly more noisy when it first starts up, but once it gets going the engine sounds normal.

I think the next stage is to have it stripped down, and have the head tested. With any luck it is just the gasket; or the head can be re-conditioned. Worst case is a new head, but i'll have to see as the time comes.

Thanks for all your pointers. At least I've had a starting point!!