Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2008A3TD Blinking coil lite, lost accel., whooshing noise

Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Exclamation 2008A3TD Blinking coil lite, lost accel., whooshing noise

Hi,
I have a 2008 A3 Turbo Diesel. Yesterday night and tonight, driving home, the coil light started flashing and the car lost acceleration. I could press the gas all the way to the floor and it hardly did anything. Both times the car did this, AC was on. I filled up again and drove around last night, able to accelerate and fine today to work. It just did this again on the way home.
Also, I noticed the car makes a faint "shhhhhhhhh" noise when I press the gas.
Any idea what this might be and how much it might cost? My husband is deployed and I live in Germany, so I have to pay in euro anyway, but am obviously concerned since I love this car!
Thanks,

Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

First, thank you for supporting your husbands service to his country. Secondly.... Germany.. what a place to be stationed.

Ok:

First question, do you have the time, patience and basic tools (Screw driver, socket set) and willingness to spend an hour to do this yourself?

If the answer is no, then here is your answer:

1. The coil packs are getting condensation in them, and rusting more than likely, this is causing the lack of power and the warning light. Check your junk mail pile, AUDI put out a recall for this very thing not to long ago, and it may be under warranty. The intermittent behavior is only exagerated by the Air Conditioner being on which naturally pulls power from the engine.

2. The faint "Shhhhhhh" may be a "Swooooiiiiisssh", which has always been there, but since nothing was wrong with the car before, you where not looking/listening for odd things... It is a turbo by the way. There are a lot of teenagers whose sole purpose in this world is to hear that sound as often as possible, mostly to the detriment of the general populace. However, it could be something else, so mention it to the garage/dealer.

If you bought this car new in Germany, take it back to the dealer, it is still under warranty. If you bought it when you PCS'd in as a used car, take it to the dealer anyway, it is STILL under warranty.

If you have any further questions just let me or anyone else know.

Salute!

MSgt W. T. Moore
USAF

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Oh, and with warranty, it should not cost anything. If no warranty exist, then you are looking at $175 US for the new coil packs and plugs, maybee $200. Plus labor.

However, you honestly can do this yourself if need be.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Default Ohh!

I just got my 2007 A3 2.0T 4 days ago, and was getting the whoosh noise as well. I had suspected it was the turbo, but it only really makes that noise when it's in sport mode or tiptronic and I push the car hard, or on the highway when I downshift to overtake someone. What a relief! And I [I]am[I] one of those aforementioned teenagers whose sole purpose in life is to listen to the purr of his/her car, and it's pretty... Very pretty... She rumbles nicely too when I start her up and when I'm idling.