Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2010 or 2011 TTs flat bottom steering wheel install help in 2007 A3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 2010 or 2011 TTs flat bottom steering wheel install help in 2007 A3

Hi,

I'm trying to install a 2010 or 2011ish TTs 3 spoke wheel with multi function buttons and DSG paddles in my 2007 A3. My car currently has the non-flat bottom 3 spoke multi function DSG paddle shift wheel in it. The harness to connect the airbag, horn, and switches to the car is slightly different between the 2 wheels.

Old wheel has a jumper wire in place on the airbag horn assembly which connects the airbag case to the rings for the horn. The old harness then connects to 2 places on the horn ring using 2 small balde connectors, as well as 2 colour coded airbag connectors, a black flat connector for the switches on the wheel, and the large connector which plugs into the car.

New wheel has no jumper wire, so there is a large blade connector on the airbag case, large blade connector on the horn ring piece, and a small blade connector on the horn ring piece. The new harness has 2 larg female blade connectors, and one small female blade connector Then there are the same black flat connector on the wheel itself for the switches, the same 2 airbag connectors colour coded, and a similar or same large conenctor which plugs into the car.

My question is, if I just replace the old harness with the new one (if it fits!?!) on the car, and then connect the airbag and switch connectors as normal, do I need to worry about which large blade connector on the harness goes to which large blade connector on the airbag/horn assemebly, or are they interchangeable?

Here's a link:

FBMFSW -2 :: IMAG0305.jpg picture by Sarge786 - Photobucket

...to a picture of almost exactly the same 2 harnesses I ahve (old and new). The white one pictured is the same as my original harness, aside from colour (I think mine's black). The harness on the left looks just like my new harness, except my new harness has the same large plug as the one on the right instead of the small yellow flat connector.

I'm probably explaining this really badly, for which I apologize. I just want to know if I can just swap in the new wheel, airbag and harness, and just connect up the 2 large blade connectors on the airbag/horn assembly to either connector on the wire, or do I need to worry about which large blade connector goes to which?