Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2016 A3 Trunk Won't Open from Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default 2016 A3 Trunk Won't Open from Button

So I started experiencing this problem about a week ago and it was off and on. As mentioned in the title, my trunk won't open from the button beneath the license plate.

At first, I tried locking and unlocking and opening from inside. After a minute or two, it started working, no problem. A few days later it happened again, but I did the same thing and it went away.

Now today, it happened again and now it won't open at all from the button above the license plate holder. It works fine when I'm inside, but there's no sound and nothing going on. Anyone know what the problem is? Is this something I can fix myself? Or do I need to take it to a shop?

I'm screwed because my Audi care just expired so I need to figure out if I want to approach this economical or not. And I'm also worried that this is just the first step in a series of cascading problems.

[EDIT] Also the button my my key fob works in opening it. The reason I didn't mention it above is because I went to my car just now to see if the problem. I always saw a trunk button my my fob but by pressing it, it never opened, so I assumed it just unlocked it. However by holding the button, it opened the trunk. Live and learn. But the button underneath the trunk still won't open the trunk.

Last edited by fao2468; 02-09-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: See [EDIT]
Old 12-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Hello Sir,

Did you find the solution for this, I am facing the same problem on my 2016 audi A3 ?

Old 12-13-2019, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

If one method works, and another doesn't, it usually means that the part unique to that one method is the problem. In the case of the PO, I'd suspect the release button (the one above the license plate) or the associated wiring. You know the latch mechanism still works if the inside release or key fob still works.

Never did it on my Audi, but it's got to be a matter of just pulling off the plastic inside covers and seeing what you can see.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:10 PM

Thanks.
In my case Key trunk button works all fine but one above license plate has suddenly stopped working.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

I'd seriously suspect the button itself (being the one moving part unique to your symptom), or the associated wiring / connectors. There may be a module in play as well (one that "processes" the request from the button), but the simplest solution is the most likely.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:45 AM
1st Gear

Hello there!
This is wires loom problem inside the trunk. On left side, which is hidden behind the lining. I already made a post on it but moderator didn't post it yet.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

I have the same Problem. Mine doesn't open either way. Both from the key on FOB not the button on the boot.
That being said, occasionally it does open out of blue???

The mechanic friend stripped the plastic cover to check the lock and told me that the lock is gone and need to be replaced since the Car doesn't even pick up if the boot is open or close if I open it manually. Apparently the sensor is in the lock unit too?

Now my Gearbox is giving me issues after being parked for almost a month. All come now when the Maintatnce plan has expired?

What a Coincidence!

Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Arturro
Hello there!
This is wires loom problem inside the trunk. On left side, which is hidden behind the lining. I already made a post on it but moderator didn't post it yet.
Can you repost or send us your Post. How can one pinpoint that this is the issue? My Boot doesn't open neither way. Not from the fob key nor from the boot button. The lock only works occasionally?

Old 01-13-2021, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Arturro
Hello there!
Hi, as I have the exact problem with my trunk, will only open with remote control = key fob, I am looking for Arturros description to solve the problem - does anybody have a link to his description? It shold be something with the wireloom in the trunk on the left side. Would appreciate som help here - thank you guys.

Esben Gade