Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

aircon instalation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM
1st Gear
Default aircon instalation

Hello again, i have an audi A3 1.8 with no aircon and was wondering how easy it is to have it installed .....is it a good idea or does it cause problems?
Has anybody installed aircon system in a a3??
Thanks
DKRho

Old 07-22-2005, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: aircon instalation

I'm the same. Really regret not going for the climate control - I was blinded by the spanking new TT wheels owhen I first bought mine so didn't think of summer being hot and stuff! Saw a similar post on a different forum and the guy got laughed out of the country. Mind you, he did want to install a full Climate pack (needs more probes & sensors than a big probey thing).
Speaking to various people retro fitting air con is a pricey job. I'm guessing £600+++
Suppose you've got no remote locking either? If you have had it fitted, how much did this set you back?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Hello, yes...well i also regret it now...but it was the right car and the only thing it didnt have was aircon so...dint really bother me...
i live in Holland so climate here is cold enough heater seemed ok, i take it your n UK so you understand what i mean......but 600pounds sounds ok.....as long as it works etc...and doesnt cause problems..
I didnt have remote locking...but had an alarm fitted and remote locking was part of it...it works well...very pleased with it...it cost about 600euro ....
I now have a diff problem....my remote is bulky and seperate to the key......i have been looking to find out if i can reprogram an original audi keyring with remote and key.....do you think this is possibl???? Do you know if its easy or do i need to redesign electronics...hahaha
Cheers for aircon info...

Old 07-23-2005, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

I guess £600 is ok yeah, but when you consider you can get so much done to your engine & exhaust for that amount of cash, it makes you wonder what's more important!
Hmm, as for the key fob I'm honestly not sure. I would guess it would be tricky because the transponder used for your alarm system would work on a different frequency & bandwidth than a standard VAG system. Perhaps it would be possible to connect the alarm system to a standard VAG remote central locking receiver but it would be a mission (if at all possible).You're probablt aware that there are various parts & systems on ebay? I saw a rip off of the fold away key system for about £100, but this didn't include immobiliser chips or key blades, plus it hooked up to the original Audi alarm. Think that was about £120 (from germany). I guess this would be a step backwards compared to a newly fitted modern system.