Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

anyone shop an RDX against an A3 s-line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:26 PM
1st Gear
Default anyone shop an RDX against an A3 s-line?

hi there everyone...

did anyone shop an acura rdx against an a3 3.2 s-line? i do realize i am in an audi forum but just curious if there are current a3 s-line owners who compared these two. i can get an rdx w/ tech package for under $34K. i think i'd be lucky to get an a3 3.2 s-line for around that same price. i get more room, more technology and acura reliability with the RDX but really liked the a3 s-line when i drove it.

is it possible to get a good deal on the a3 3.2 (is it redundant to say s-line at this point)? only options i'd "need" on the audi are the cold weather package and the rear side airbags.

that being said, the RDX with the tech package is brimming with options.. fully, fully loaded.

things that "scare" me with the RDX is acura's first first turbo effort and horrible gas mileage reports (13 mpg)... btw how are owners doing with gas mileage on their a3 3.2s?

thanks so much!!!

sbp

Old 02-02-2007, 06:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: anyone shop an RDX against an A3 s-line?

Hey, that's me! Sorta.

I originally was convinced I was getting the RDX. This was before all the specs were out on it. I checked out the ACURA site every day and absorbed all the spy photos and information....

In the meantime while I waited I studied other cars and came up with Audi on a whim. Not sure how because only an ex-girlfriend has one. I'd never road in one before. But the styling seemed awesome. The more I studied it came down to an A4 or A3 wagon. (Hmmm, and my brother in law has a Volvo Type-R Wagon so that probably has something to do with it.)

Finally, The RDX came out and when I saw the 'rated' gas mileage quite lower than what I expected I decided we would not be happy with that. Also, I became more and more impressed with the Audis as I test drove them and studied them. I was looking at the 3.2 for AWD capability but decided we could survive on the 2.0 just fine. My previous cars had all been Hondas and Acuras, including a limited edition Type-R integra... but it turns out I never drove the RDX. I even became bored with the styling. The nav system and dash used to appear awesome to me, but when I saw Audi, it was like a whole new ball game. Audi has done such a nice job with the interior of their cars and the Acuras and Hondas just seem like toys.

Of course there is more room in the RDX, but I knew the gas mileage would be close to 16 or below with their ratings. Could not justify that! Also, the A3 being closer to the ground gives you less rollover chance. No doubt the RDX is a good car, but c'mon, Honda is famous for their efficient yet sporty cars and I think they could have moved all the new engine technology in a slightly different direction instead of horsepower.

j

ps - I LOVE my 2.0 A3, my first Audi.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:28 PM

I own a 2006 A3 2.0T and the Acura RDX. I can't give you a direct comparison with the S line, but I can tell you the RDX gives you a lot of bang for the buck but you trade off:

1. Fit and finish in Audi seems superior. It's in the little details where you see this such as door mechanisms, under the hood, body panel strength, etc.
2. Nav display appears to be a lower res and gets washed out in bright sunlight. The nav in the A3 is sharp and bright in all conditions.
3. Gas mileage in 2.0T can't be beat. In my commute to work which is about 35 miles on freeway, I get 30mpg on average. RDX gives me about 20mpg, but that number is climbing as the car breaks in.

However what I did get with the RDX:

1. Quieter and more comfortable ride.
2. It drives like it's on rails. The SH-AWD works. Not sure how it compares to the S, but I did own an A4 quattro previously and the RDX handling is equal to or slightly better IMHO.
3. Backup camera is great. I used to say those were unnecessary but living in a city with tight parking makes me appreciate it a lot. That wasn't an option when I got the A3, heck they even left out the auto-tilting side mirrors in the A3 - I hope they added that as it helps prevent scraping expensive rims on the high sidewalks around here.
4. Seemingly better reliability. I've owned an A4 and A3 and in each case I've had service issues. (A3 eats oil, while the A4 suffered from the apparently common failed fuel sensor)

So it's pretty much a toss-up. I think if you are going for really sporty and prefer a smaller car go with the Audi. If you want the space and a supposed higher reliability go with the RDX. I did go with the extended warranty on both cars since they both have fairly new engine designs and lots of electronics that can go bad.

Cheers.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

I have always like Audi, but never owned one before. I have had a Volvo V70 GLT before, and while it drove nice I was disappointed in the quality/reliability department. I was a bit nervous about spending more money on another European car. I was considering Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Saab, and Audi. After I test drove the Audi A3 s-line and made my decision. IMHO you won't find a better sporty car with good fuel economy, fit and finish--not for the price. I got my A3 s-lineout the door for about $28K, and it comes with the open sky.

The engine is well rated. This link references the rating one independent gave the A3 Engine. In addition, JD Power ranks them high, after 50K surveys.

http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_wa..._12/index.html[/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

That's a nice package of wheels you got in your garage! I'd like to try out the RDX. I still haven't seen any in town, but I haven't seen an A3 either. Just me. (I like it that way!)

Old 03-01-2007, 01:35 PM

First decide if you want apples or oranges. I wanted a sports car but had to find one that was more practical, hence the A3. If you want a "sporty" SUV but need better mileage I guess you could compromise the other direction. From what I've read, they both are excellent in their respective classes.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
ec2

I was also deciding between the A3 3.2 and the Acura RDX. In the end I chose the Audi for the following reasons:

1. Didn't want an SUV (biggest factor)
2. The handling and ride wasn't even a competition - testing both cars in the same area over the same roads the A3 just stuck to the pavement like velcro compared to the RDX.
3. The turbo noise of the RDX while accelerating was really annoying.

I'm happy with the choice I made, but of course it's up to you to decide what features/qualities are most important.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:14 AM

Hey guys. I realize I'm jumping in a little late on this topic, but I just joined the forum.

I, too narrowed my choices down to the A3 and the RDX. I write a periodic automotive column for a couple of lifestyle magazines so I was able to get an RDX for a one week test. The good news: the car has excellent power, responsive paddle shifters and loves to be pushed. It is a much more enjoyable to drive the harder you run with great feedback and handling unlike any other mini SUV/crossover. The quality of materials, equipment (tech package) are all excellent. But, after a week with the car, I averaged only 13.2 MPG! I checked with a fellow journalist who had also tested the car and they averaged 13.1. The problem with the RDX is that it encourages enthusiastic driving and rewards the effort in all areas except efficiency. It is really fun to drive and is sized right. But I could not in good conscience buy a new car that gets such low mileage.

So my loaded Lava Gray A3 2.0T S Line is arriving in about 4 weeks. It is my first Audi and I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Welcome Gator. It's never too late to comment on anything here. Good info on the RDX. It is a weird diversion for Acura, usually having them focused on efficiency. But the power would be welcome in their cars as I've 'grown up' a little now and I don't enjoy reving my cars at 6500 rpms anymore to get my power. It's nice to have it available right away. See my next post...a3 update.