Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi A3 sportback 2007 heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 sportback 2007 heating issues

Hi guys,

I have had a problem with my car for a few months now.

I noticed that there was no heat in the car on a very cold morning. Heat turned on full blast with engine temp at 90' no heat... Then driving about 15 miles coolant light flashes so stopped the car to investigate but tank had sufficient Liquid inside. So driving along again and then all of a sudden there is slight heat. I turn a corner.. No heat.. Motorway then there is heat. It's so odd. Constant replacing the water in the tank now but no visible leaks. Done a pressure test and the car lost 0.3 bar psi. No water in the oil or cream. Idling the car doesn't have heat but keep the car revs at 2000 and then there is heat. Also you can hear coolant moving around the system also when revving. Audi couldn't quote me on the problem and my local mechanic had no idea

Any feedback would be much appreciated as its really frustrating.

Cheers ally

Last edited by AllyGilmour; 03-06-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

I also had the coolant light flashing at me on very cold mornings however there was enough coolant in the tank. I googled and found 2 solutions to that problem:
1. add additional coolant so that you are right at the MAX line (not below)
2. replace the sensor in the coolant tank (I can't recall if that means you have to replace the reservoir or not)

I tried #1 first and it resolved my problem so far (3 months later, even in below 0 temps!)

I didn't have the heating issue yet. Considering you are loosing a little coolant but can't figure out from where it is possible you have an airlock - therefore no heat. You might want to Google that topic to see if you really want to tackle that or visit another shop.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
I also had the coolant light flashing at me on very cold mornings however there was enough coolant in the tank. I googled and found 2 solutions to that problem:
1. add additional coolant so that you are right at the MAX line (not below)
2. replace the sensor in the coolant tank (I can't recall if that means you have to replace the reservoir or not)

I tried #1 first and it resolved my problem so far (3 months later, even in below 0 temps!)

I didn't have the heating issue yet. Considering you are loosing a little coolant but can't figure out from where it is possible you have an airlock - therefore no heat. You might want to Google that topic to see if you really want to tackle that or visit another shop.

Thanks for your reply, I have googled it and it seems to be very hard to find a topic that directly relates to this problem. A lot of my friends are saying it could be a leak in the radiator potentially. In saying that I used steel seal to make sure that wasn't the problem. Don't know if it done any good or bad. I feel like taking the car apart bit by bit lol, although I don't have enough experience nor do I have one of those screw drivers that fit the screws!!! Rage.. :-/

Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Can you scan the car for hvac codes? Sometimes that will help narrow it down.