Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Bad jerking problem

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM
1st Gear
Smile Bad jerking problem

Hey everyone.
I just bought my first Audi and it's an Audi A3 2.0T. I just drove from Florida to California with it, and got my PCV valve fixed under warranty when I got here and an oil change. The car drove great. Then the other day I raced a guy up a 14% grade hill up to my school and the check engine light came on and started flashing.
Now the CEL stays solid and when I get on the gas, the car jerks very hard when the boost is applied. Right at 3,000 RPM. I don't really sense it in 1st. Mainly when the car is under load in 2nd or third gear. Drives alright when not in boost. The RPM wander a bit at idle, and it never used to.

This all happened the same day as I accidentally put in 87 regular instead of premium(thinking it was my old car). Just refueled today(with premium) thinking maybe it was causing detonation under load. Any advise? And sorry for the long post

Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

I just replaced the nasty plugs that were in the car, still no difference. Going to get the CEL checked today. Yesterday when I got on the boost, it started blinking again.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Check to be sure the turbo pipe (fromt the valve cover to the turbo) is the correct one for the new pcv (crankcase pressure regulating valve). There's a new and old style and the new pcv requires the new style to function properly. Chances are, the tech replaced it but he could have misread the number or something. The wandering idle is what has me wondering. Wrong turbo downpipe could cause damage to the pcv valve under high boost. One check is, with the engine idling, see if you can pull the oil cap off. There should be some vacuum in the crankcase but if you almost need two hands to pull it off, the pcv valve has failed causing excessive crankcase vacuum (and excessive pressure under boost) along with a lean condition throughout the entire range (like a big unmetered air leak).

Flashing MIL (or CEL) means severe misfire that could cause catlayst damage. COuld be any number of things from a failing coil, partially plugged injector, etc..... or severly lean mixture. One other possibility on the 2.0L BPY engine is the high pressure fuel pump lobe on the intake camshaft has gone soft. When this happens, you have a lack of high pressure fuel and can cause the exact symptoms you describe. IF that's the case, you need a new (revised) intake cam, fuel pump follower and, if damaged, high pressure fuel pump. Good news is, there's a warranty extension on those parts to 10 years/120,000 miles.

Kind of curious though. Please report what you find!

Last edited by aspen79; 10-11-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

I called the 034 Motorsports shop in Fremont to order some new coils. I told him the part # on the old coils and he said those matched an '09, but was incorrect for '07. So I dropped $90 on 4 new coils, and 15 minutes later, the car ran great. Under boost and all. CEL is still on, but I believe that the o2 sensor went out because it has 112,000 miles. Plus whoever had the car before me drove the car for so long with the bad pcv, oil actually made its way from the top of the crankcase to where coils were, and when I pulled the old coils to replace the plugs, there was 2 inches of oil in each one. Not to mention that all the coils were cracked on the sides and seriously corroded on the inside. Thank god for those new coils!