Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Best bike rack for A3 w/o Roof Rails...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Best bike rack for A3 w/o Roof Rails...

Looking to get a bike rack for my A3.

I'm considering the Saris Bones model that goes on the hatch...anyone had any experience with this?

Not a big fan of the roof rack...I'm a little height disadvantaged...but if it's better, I'll probably end up with one.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Best bike rack for A3 w/o Roof Rails...

I only have experience in the roof rack version. Thule or Yakima. Yakima is made in the USA.
search old threads on this forum and you'll find some info that i used when i was on the market for one.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

I have had no experience with this company, but if it fits the GTI is should fit the A3. You'd have to talk to the company to find out for sure. From TT land there were some that used these.

Bike Racks

Old 11-19-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. I'll search the forums...

Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 AM
T2T
1st Gear

I tried the Bones hatch rack and the brackets that hook over the hatch where too thick and wouldn't fit into the crack between the hatch and the body. I took it back and bought the Thule roof rack. It works fine and doesnt' damage the paint as long as you clean the mounting area before you mount them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17602/4E99AD36EF3443C8837069DACC76FD05.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-20-2006, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

As an owner of three previous cars with roof racks, I'm a strong advocate of a trailer hitch or hatch/trunk mounted rack for bicycles.

I felt they always scratched the roof in the long run. They interfered with gas mileage and performance. On long drives the bikes were coated with bugs. Once I even drove into the garage with my bikes on the roof. And I thought I NEVER do that! Turns out I now have lots of biking friends with the same story.

So I'm looking for some sort of hitch mount. I think that would be best. Hopefully you could still get to the hatch somehow with this. Otherwise I'm looking for a hatch mount. I'm still going with roof mount for a rocket box or similar. But bikes are going on the back somehow. I saw a post somewhere on another site (can't remember where at the moment) that someone got a hitch mount attachment for the new GTI, said it should fit our car as well. I'm going to get serious and go talk to a local rack guy, but so far, it's all just an idea in my head.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I have the Audi designed roof rack system in the a3 accessories catalog. It's easy to install, Audi even designed grooves in the door moldings showing where to place the clamps. Overall I would rate the rack descent, it looks good, but left marks where the clamps on. Nothing major, but my car is black everything shows up. It distorted the clear coat a little. I got the Thule standard tray and what Audi calls the Barracuda rack both work well. I wouldn't suggest the rear mount systems...they will leave marks caused by road vibration. With both tray mine cost about 500$, I only put it on when I need it. The trailer hitch would be the least wear on your ride! I seen a new A3 with one installed with a bike rack. From what I found they don't have these kits available for them, but they must exist.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

The Audi roof system does look like a good one. And I noticed that the engineers thought about putting those little indents inside the door. But yes, I would suspect that the 'feet' from the system will still scratch in the long run. My last two cars were black and I know your pain there!

This is why I specifically ordered my A3 from the factory with the roof rails. (see pictures on a post I made a few weeks ago.) It's really a great solution for everything, since you have a permanent mounting right there that is not obtrusive when not carrying anything on your roof. However, in the USA, the dealers don't seem to have a clue about getting cross-bars for this. I'm working on ordering some from Europe based on recommendations I've seen on other sites.

I plan on putting boats or rocket boxes on the roof. But any advice someone has on getting a trailer hitch is greatly appreciated!