Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A few quick questions about chiping...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Default A few quick questions about chiping...

So i have a few questions...hopefuly there not dumb heh

**these questions are manly focuses with apr's ecu in mind***

1) Can you order the unit online or do you have to find a tuner shop that will flash your ecu for you? (is it more money to order the unit yourself, as opposed to going to a shop)

2) APR seems to have two modes, 91oct and 93oct, does 93 oct use more gas than the 91oct mode?

3) Can you switch btw these two modes without hurting the car? (sometimes the gas station i use has 91 sometimes has 93...) like one gas tank use 91 oct then the next week get 93 oct gas and run that mode?

4) Can you run the 91oct mode with 93 oct gas?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

or if you can point me towards a website that explains this stuff also appreciated.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A few quick questions about chiping...

1) Can you order the unit online or do you have to find a tuner shop that will flash your ecu for you? (is it more money to order the unit yourself, as opposed to going to a shop)
You can, however, you will need to take your ECU out and mail it to them. THus no car for 3-5 days. I would look for a local dealer. Most have a minimal labor charge to do a flash. Some do it for free

2) APR seems to have two modes, 91oct and 93oct, does 93 oct use more gas than the 91oct mode?
Perhaps, but most likely very minimal. Its more due to the tuning with that specific gas than anything else. Your right foot will affect the MPG more than anything else

3) Can you switch btw these two modes without hurting the car? (sometimes the gas station i use has 91 sometimes has 93...) like one gas tank use 91 oct then the next week get 93 oct gas and run that mode?
Yes, you can swithc modes through the Cruise Control stalk. The engine of course will need to be off and such. Plus I believe you will need to let your car adapt to the new gas before you can use the full potential of the tuning file

4) Can you run the 91oct mode with 93 oct gas?
Of course. You can also run 91 mode with 100 octane. Rule is you can run any file as long as you have an octane equal to or better than what the file requires. Of course I *accidently* ran a full tank of 89 using the 91 file. Pissed me off cause I was babying the car for almost 2 weeks. Course I got close to 400 miles out of that tank from mostly city driving... which made it worse!

THANKS IN ADVANCE
your welcome

or if you can point me towards a website that explains this stuff also appreciated.
Call the APR guys up. They'll be happy to answer all your questions

Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A few quick questions about chiping...

THANKS!