Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Bitten by the mod bug - n00b question alert

Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Bitten by the mod bug - n00b question alert

OK, so in the next couple of weeks I'm getting my 3.2 flashed with the GIAC software upgrade. Down the road (much further down the road, due to ltd. $$$) eventually the Milltek exhaust system and maybe upgraded Haldex controller.

N00b question #1: I'm not sure how kindly the local stealershp takes to modding, but would it be adviseable to add the return-to-stock-mode option/controller to the deal? I'm reluctant to ask them outright about their policies with performance mods/chipping.

N00b question #2: Are there more significant upgrades I should consider doing first, or at least prior to modding the exhaust and/or Haldex?

N00b question #3: Could somone please steer me towards any intake options that would properly suit the 3.2? I'm especially less-than-knowledgeable in this area, and I have searched this and other forums, yes.

That will be all. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Default RE: Bitten by the mod bug - n00b question alert

I'm glad to see that you're finally venturing over to the dark side! [sm=vader1.gif] LOL

I don't know much about modding the 3.2L, but I don't think a CAI would benefit you very much. The biggest gain will be on the exhaust, after the chip.

Cheers!

Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Chef! yeah - I can't figure things out re: intake. I always thought CAI would not be an option but GIAC and the local tuner both said they recommend adding both an intake and exhaust. The only specific recommendation was for the Milltek exhaust...I already know about that.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Believe it or not the bigger the displacement of your engine 3.2 liter vs our 2.0 liter the more she will suck the more she sucks the more you'll gain.

The 2.0 liter engines suck soo little we only see gains in the single digits to lower teens, you on the other hand might get a little more.
I've been researching jeep srt 8 cherokee and have been informed that those bad boys gain 15-18 hp off the bat, (6 liter engine)
throw in an exhaust they get another 15 hp. (only if)

So dont hesitate anything other then the oem filter box will be an upgrade. Good luck

Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

From K&N's website: A3 2.0L w/CAI = 18.6 HP increase

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-9503.pdf

Turbos need air to breathe just like any other engine. The turbo squeezes more air/fuel in and so creates more power. To create 200 HP from 2.0L uses just as much air as creating 200HP from a 4 or 5 or 6 Liter engine. And since it has to work less hard, economy usually goes up with lower breathing effort - inhaling or exhausting. That's why CAIs, cat-backs, and downpipes all increase power and improve fuel economy is because the engines have to spend less energy breathing, they need less energy to make the same power, and ultimately create more power on the top end.

The trade off is thatwith those pieces installed the carcan become a farty mouth breather: honking intake and blatty exhaust. The answer is tuning that gives a nice bit of tone to both intake and output for very few horsepower.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Who are you planning on using around here? And I'm assuming you take it to Leith for warranty work?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: panzrwagn

From K&N's website: A3 2.0L w/CAI = 18.6 HP increase

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-9503.pdf

That was my car with the stage I REVO chip. They did doctor with my air/fuel mixture when they had my car for the dyno. I had to reset the chip before I got all of my power back. So, I'm guessing that the increase isn't near that reported amount, but it's still worth the investment in the long run.

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Yep, Leith does the services and any warranty work. Any experiences with them re: chipping? For me the jury's out on them...service advisor is pretty good and the service manager has been excellent, but my experience with their salespeople, technicians and parts people haslargely sucked.

I'm probably getting software installed at Absolute Automotive in Durham. They seem to be well-established and I have been unable to find a single complaint about their work.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear

Hey panzr i agree with everything you wrote except for what k&n claims about our gains
we dont get 18 hp with just the cai no way!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

How much more does it cost to keep your stock program? I don't think it would be an issue, I doubt that any dealers are looking for tell-tale signs of tuning on the 3.2. I don't think it would be such a drastic increase in performance that they're gonna notice. Heck, that's even more reason to do the intake/exhaust -- if they think something is up they'll probably just attribute the increased power to the obvious mods.