Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Bluetooth Kit Install w/Steering Wheel Button Activation (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Default Bluetooth Kit Install w/Steering Wheel Button Activation (pics)

I was puzzled to learn my Audi dealer had no interest in adding an "OEM" Bluetooth setup to my new A3. It has the steering wheel "Talk" button, so how hard could it be? Apparently impossible.

"They are mass-produced that way", the advisor lamented, pointing to the steering wheel. "You got the 3-spoke wheel with the Premium package, but without the other electronics, the buttons are non-functional, and we don't make modifications to enable them." He would be happy to sell me the sun visor-mounted Jitterbug Gootooth or whatever thingie. No thanks.

For $300 I was able to do what I wanted with an after-market kit from http://www.safewireless.com/. I did the install myself - I have the double DIN Concert (non-Bose) H/U in my 2008.5

Here were the pieces that were used from the kit. Not pictured or used were the Parrot wiring harness or Parrot talk/volume controller.

Name:  ParrotInstall01.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  79.1 KB

Use the VW radio removal tools to pull out the H/U. I got mine at Wally World for $8 (needed two sets).

Name:  ParrotInstall02.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  89.7 KB

Remove the main wiring harness from the back. The new custom harness fits in between the head unit and factory wiring harness. The jumpers off to the left go to the other components (Parrot "brain" and a interface controller). The factory H/U is a Blaupunkt if anyone cares.

Name:  ParrotInstall03.jpg
Views: 4053
Size:  80.9 KB

Everything hooked up for a test. It worked first try.

Name:  ParrotInstall05.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  65.1 KB

The wiring cleaned up for re-install. Parrot box and controller are secured beneath the stereo mount, wiring is folded in - very tight fit.

Name:  ParrotInstall07.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  57.0 KB

It all worked well, retained the stock appearance, and enabled the steering wheel "Talk" button.

Name:  ParrotInstall08.jpg
Views: 2206
Size:  54.2 KB

I have the microphone clipped to the right of the sun visor. I took my time to ensure the wire was as hidden as possible - the microphone placement here is good even with the sunroof vented.

Name:  ParrotInstall09.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  60.9 KB

The kit works as advertised in my car. The "Talk" button activates, hangs up, or switches the call to the handset, and the barrel wheel controls the volume. I found if your contacts have a first and last name in your phone's directory, voice dialing works like a charm. Otherise, "Mom" sounds like "Home" etc. Still have to use the phone handset for the "Mute" button.

Not sure what another dealer would have charged to add this, since mine wouldn't do it, but $300 and an afternoon was all it took for me, and now I'm rolling CA legal.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Very Nice and thanks for the pictures. Now if they have it for the 06 ill be very happy! So has anyone done this on there 06 with out nav?

Last edited by 4RINGSROD; 02-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Good Job

nice job on the installment it looks great!!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

This is such a bummer. I've scrubbed the web and can't find a solution that will stream audio and do phone with the steering controls on my 2006.3.

Connects2 has the right adapter kit if you are in Europe. Audi dealer tells me me CANBUS codes are different and it won't work in the US, plus the instrument cluster doesn't support it until Nov of 2007 models.

So, Dension or the Parrot MKi9000 and those buttons sitting on the wheel will just bug me forever.