Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

I don't agree that the 1-series is a competitor to the TT. The styling on the 1-series is pretty sedate (well, ugly in my opinion, but that is subjective!) The TT is a roadster, the 1-series is predominantly a hatch (and the sedan...ouch...I can't get used to it!)
The confusion comes from the differences in the BMW 1 series Euro vs US models...
I believe when the original post went up everyone was talking about the US market although no one actually said it.

I would completely agree that the Euro 1 Series directly with our A3...
however the US model is more of a competitor to the TT in my mind...

In the US, the 1 series is not a hatch and comes in either a 2-door coupe or a 2 door convertible (each have 2 engine options)...
Now the european 1 series is completely different and comes in a 4-door hatch
- - - - - - - - -
US 1 Series Coupe

US 1 Series Convertible

European 1 Series

Old 05-07-2008, 12:16 PM

I'm deciding between the 128, a3, or a4 right now.

I've been bmw so I'd like to stay BMW. BMW underrates there numbers a lot, I'm not sure if Audi does that too. The 335 is putting down about 325HP at the crank and the 128 is putting down 244HP at the crank.

I know with an ECU flash in the a3/a4 I could get it up to those numbers. Although, there is probably more potentional with an FI engine in the a3/a4 instead of an NA engine in the 128.

I'm hopefully going to test drive them this weekend and see what I like better. I just test drove my friends A3 with a REVO flash so he's puttign down probably 240hp, and it was nice, Although I need to experience both cars for myself.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

The BPY motor ('06 - late '08) is about 192 hp/ 200 ft-lbs. at the wheels; very conservatively rated.Combine this with the efficient and direct DSG tranny, and you have a car that feels like 240 hp in a normal auto Eurocar.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

When my buddy went to the dealership he went to look at the 1 series and the guy basicly told him the 1 series comes so empty at the low msrp they have that by the time you add in the necessary things your up to par with the 3 series price and its not the amount of money you were planning to spend on a 1.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear

I think BMW is competing against themselves with the 1 series. Why would they make a car that is similar to the M3 (Only a couple inches smaller) that is just as quick as the M3... and is a lot cheaper than the M3. Anyone else see something wrong with this picture? F!cking retarded IMO.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

The 135 is as quick as the previous M3, but not to the 08 version. This is indeed great news for anyone wanting that type of performance for less than $40k. The biggest complaints about the 135 seems to be how close in price it can get to the low end of the 3 series. Is BMW trying to be clever by teasing buyers with the 1, but convincing them ("it's only a few thousand more") to buy a 3? Anyone willing to put $69k down for a new M3 isn't even going to consider a 135. They're not measuring performance against value. They just want one of ultimate machines from Mercedes, Audi, BMW (and maybe Lexus now that they got into the act with the Is350 F) regardless of price so they can drive 75 mph down the highway, but feel really cool.

Back to the A3, the 3.2 drives and probably performs pretty close to the 128. Again though, in the US it's 5-door versus 2-door so they aren't intended to meet the same needs. I'd be happy with either one if that's all I could spend.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

The US version looks pretty funky! Kind of like a baby 3 series.

As for it being a teaser, that's a very expensive marketing strategy to get customers for what is already one of the best selling premium sedans in the US, so I doubt that. But you are right ptack, with the price so close it seems cannibalistic. I suspect though there is a market of people who would try desperately to STRETCH their budget to a 3, but can't make it, and the difference in price is their total MAX credit they can get, so they will get that car to own the badge. Kind of scary to me. But I think in the US market credit and leasing play a big role in the cars people choose, so it may be they are trying to go for that part of the market.

I wish we had that here in Taiwan, I would SO be driving an A5 right now if I could finance it, instead of having to pay cold hard cash for that beast! Lucky!