Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

BOSE A3 , Head Unit Upgrade - unanswered questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 AM
1st Gear
Default BOSE A3 , Head Unit Upgrade - unanswered questions...

I tried to avoid starting a new thread but , i cant see on specific to the a3 - i posted this in an a4 forum post but hoped an a3 person could advise in caes there is major difference

original post here

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...w-bose-184451/

Thank you for any help

'Hello - yes thread resurrection but i didn't want to start another on this topic, there is useful info already here - i researched and have a good idea of the setup/requirements now , but a few questions i haven't found answers to and i like to fully understand what i am working with so advice appreciated.

Realizing my symphony(2) head unit in my a3 (03) couldn't play mp3's i decided i needed to change it, i could go for the II+ , but looking at the options it seems feasible / better and cheaper to install my Bluetooth Sony unit.

I have checked out the connections on my head unit (http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4158430312.pdf) and have looked at the adapters.

I understand the 'bose' adapter connects power and remote to a std ISO connector which plugs into the HU, but also integrates 2 pairs of line out connections to be taken from phono sockets on the HU- all sounds good.

Few questions though

The car has (i believe correct me if im wrong),R+L front component speakers (mid and tweet), R+L Rear full range, 6" Sub, Centre Speaker in dash - (i have also read about a ceiling and centre pillar speakers but don't think i have them) - based on this how many channels does the bose amp have? & what are they for - is it six channel with sub and centre on 1 channel each ?

Taking into account the above, which pre outs should i use and which cable is which on the adapter , witha 6 channel amp i would expect to use 6 line inputs (3 pairs), the adapter only has 4 rca connectors. on the HU i have front, rear, and sub - which should i use ? - are the front , rear and centre speakers powered from one input and the sub from the other (in which case how does the fader work) or is it front and centre from one input and sub/rear from the other (in which case adjustments to sub out will also be applied to rears(low pass filter/levels etc) ?

The only way i can see it working is a flat output from front and rear line outs and all amplification tuning/filter/levels and distribution is preconfigured in the amp somehow pushing the right stuff to the sub - with this though the fader should affect the sub level - i usually fade to the front, does this also fade the sub ? if i increase head unit bass is this filtered away from the full range speakers ?

Thanks for bearing with me , one more question

the existing amp, this provides all amplification so the sound quality/volume of the system should not be affected by this install, its just basically a different interface/display (one with bright lights and mp3/aux/bluetooth capability) - is this correct ?

Would really be great if someone could answer these queries for me : )'