Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Bose Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Bose Sound

Has anyone out there scrapped/rid themselves ofthat piece of crap Bose sub burried in the side panel in the rear cabin area? I'm looking to ax it, and use it's sound feed to drive another external sub/and or wooferswhich I may mount into the rear removable cargo panel.

I never take that panel out, and I would just add in quick disconnects if there is ever a need to.

I'm also trying to locatea wiring diagram for the Bose amp and speakers configuration?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Bose Sound

Disconnecting the stock sub:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2741663

You may run into problems replacing it though. I don't mean to shoot down your idea, but I think there are quite a few obstacles:

-The stock amp is probably not suited to running anything better (I don't imagine the stock 5" paper-cone woofer requires much current); plus most Bose systems run off 8 Ohms, whereas anything aftermarket will need 4 Ohms. Not positive what Ohm-load the A3's system is, just keep it in mind.

-Stock amp runs both the sub and the rear door speakers.

-You could tap the line-level signal feeding the stock amp and run it to an aftermarket amp + sub, but you would have to retain the stocker for the rear door speakers. Also, there is not a seperate sub signal and rear signal; the sub and rears both run off of one line-level signal. Once you set the gain on the amp, the only way you could adjust the sub volume from the Bose HU would be to fade the entire output to the rear.

-Finally, the Bose headunit has some wonky equalization going on. It dynamically changes the EQ as you raise and lower the volume (to protect the speakers from blowing); this would make it difficult to tune an aftermarket sub.

Now if you got an aftermarket head unit with seperate feeds for front, rear, and sub, then you could retain the factory amp for the door speakers, independently control the output to your sub amp, and do away with Bose's dynamic EQ.