Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Caring for Open Sky System

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Caring for Open Sky System

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning / protecting the open sky system? I know there are two glass panels that are easy care but the panel just behind the windshield and the one just in front of the hatch in back seem like they are shiney black panels? I can see some fine spiderweb scratches in the light in the 2 'black' panels in question - could have been there prior to delivery since I just got the car 2 weeks ago. Do any of you have any tips on cleaning and protecting those parts that work for you? Are those parts waxable??

Just put on the first coat of wax on the rest of the car...great paint job on these cars!

Took this picture in the garage. Better than in the slush outside :-)

Cheers!
Corey

[IMG]local://upfiles/28647/941F953AE7FD40B98FC3E71DBC7CFD29.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28647/25DDE15A6BCD42EE9F159FC0B9A4D207.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Caring for Open Sky System

Yeah no automatic car washes, or using soft brushes that could collect dirt that might scratch the panels.

I generally use a pressure wash system with wash concentrate that won't harm your wax job. Then I air blow nearly all the water off and wrap up using a soft towel on the body and glass. All parts are OK with car wax as far as I know.

Yeah I bet after the nice pictures you took that you want to take it outside for a spin in the slush!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1
Yeah no automatic car washes, or using soft brushes that could collect dirt that might scratch the panels.
Amen to noauto car washes. They definitely will scratch. The black partd that are not sky panelsis black paint so just wax it like it would the rest of the car. Some of the touchless carwashes do a crap job, so I just take it to one of those spray it yourself places until it warms up. At least most of the crud and salt come off but I never use their brush.

I just brought mine in from the snow and it handled like a champ. It was the first snow it had been in so until you get out with it you don't know how it will handle. Of course, the dirt builds up almost immediately.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips! I've never gone thru a car wash with any of my cars so no worries. Just the spray yourself place to get the salt and dirt off the bottom of the car. I'm a big hand wash / waxer.

I took my Mom out in her '02 Jetta TDI this morning on an icy road ( I traded an '04 Jetta TDI Sport for the A3 also) and realized the huge difference in handling and ride immediately vs. the A3.