Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Coilpack-Recall (tracking)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Coilpack-Recall (tracking)

Hey all!
Hadn't posted in a while, think its due to no car issues, but more to not driving as much as I used to Anyways I was wondering if any of you have taken your cars in for the Coil Recall as of late? I just did mine a few weeks ago, and its alright. I first had a feeling that the coils were odd a few months ago, when it felt like the car was in limp mode. I never really did to much looking into this due to my wife driving the car mostly.

What I want to do is inform people that there was a recall for certain A3's and Audi should send a notification if your car is affected. Also I am having an issue now, check-light on, & I'm back into limp mode (sound you get when changing gears at times). I just took it in to the stealership thinking it was the coils. No, I was wrong. Guy tells me its the Turbo Bypass Valve & I owe him $100 (bucks). I think to myself, "why would this happen after a coil change?"

Thanks for the insight, hope your stealerships are a bit better!!

\/Yea I gotta change the Sig, but I miss my TT\/

Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Mine went in 3 weeks ago. Went out to start the car and had crank but no spark (but no check engine light...hmm). Towed the car to the dealership (AAA Plus) and had blown the fuse for the coils (which is what it was designed to do short of an engine fire). #1 coil pack was fried (you could smell it) so they replaced all 4 under the recall same day. All is fine now (knock in wood), and all I lost was a day of work and gained a few more grey hairs. Kudos to Ian at Len Stoler Audi in Owings Mills, MD for the fast turn around and no hassle....even gave me a loaner to go get lunch (POS A4 2.0T...made me appreciate my A3 all the more).

James R.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

I went about 2 weeks ago, no problems at all.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Glad things went well, aside the POS!! Looks like my check lyt is for the turbo-bypass valve.
gtg, laters!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Default Recall

Got notice that parts were now in stock for the recall, within a week Check Engine light came on and start idliing a little rough on start up. Took in to dealer and they changed coils and reset Light and all seemed good for 3 days. Light came back on and rough idle again at start up. Took back and was told that #2 cyl was miss firing and it was probably due to carbon build up because the coils weren't firing Hot enough. (reason for recall, they were not insulated well enough and cooked under the hood). They tried an Octane booster and drove @ 60 for 60 miles and said this might work? Light came back day later.
Now car is in for De-Carbonazion.
We'll see? Get it back today if all goes well..