Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

considering an a3 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear
Default considering an a3 3.2

I'm considering looking into getting an A3...i really like the car. I would be looking at a loaded A3 3.2. I know the 2.0T has more potential for power, but i hate FWD and promised myself my next car would be RWD, or AWD. Currently i'm driving a Toyota Matrix XRS, nice car, but the A3 would be a step up in power from that, add AWD, a jump in style/luxury as well. DSG is an interesting option and ive test driven it and really like it. any advice anyone can offer me? Is it too late to get an 06?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Default RE: considering an a3 3.2

Well, I own the 2.0T and love my car. I've heard grumblings over the 3.2 A3 but I don't remember the exact issues.

If you like the car, then buy it and join us!!!

Cheers!

Chef

Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

I have an 07 3.2 on the way. The selection for 06 at the time I ordered it (end of June) was way to limited. You may be happier ordering the exact car you want--color, options, etc.-- and waiting for it come in versus driving all over hell and back to find the Quattro of your dreams. I commend you on your choice!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

i'd love to hear what the alleged issues are with the 3.2 vs the 2.0T. Besides potential power of the turbo....anyone?

Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

i'd love to hear what the alleged issues are with the 3.2 vs the 2.0T. Besides potential power of the turbo....anyone?
I think the main issues were the price of the 3.2, engine mod potential, and the lack of a manual transmission. Some have had problems with their cars as well, but this may be true with every kind of car manufactured. I personally love my car and I already have as much power as the 3.2 for about $10k less. I think that is the main point of us 2.0T owners. But, I'd venture to say that each of us would want the Quattro if it was offered with the 2.0T.

Happy hunting!

Chef

Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 AM
1st Gear

does the 2.0T happen to have LSD? or is it just electronic brake control to simulate one?

Old 07-21-2006, 01:54 AM

does the 2.0T happen to have LSD? or is it just electronic brake control to simulate one?
Not a real LSD, brakes control spin. You're correct.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

is it effective in daily driving? I never go to the track or anything like that, but i do drive quite spirited and the reason i hate FWD, is under hard acceleration from a stop going around a corner, i hate the wheelspin produced by open diffs. If this electronic stuff can control it, it might be worth a look.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:19 AM

is it effective in daily driving? I never go to the track or anything like that, but i do drive quite spirited and the reason i hate FWD, is under hard acceleration from a stop going around a corner, i hate the wheelspin produced by open diffs. If this electronic stuff can control it, it might be worth a look.
Well, I think you definitely need to drive the car and see if it bothers you. The car has virtually no torque steer and the cornering with a sport suspension only has a mild understeer. Chipped the car will break the tires loose if you stuff your right foot. The ESP will control the spin, but I rarely will nail the gas around a corner when taking off from a stop. You would definitely end up with wheel spin and the ESP kicking in hard if you took off full throttle from a stop to go around a corner. It still feels very stable though and I don't think you'd notice much of a problem with a stock car.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 AM
SoCal Crew Member

i've NEVER turned on my ESP before........ is it a BIG difference.........

Chef, you know how i drive....... would the ESP affect me at all?