Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DEALER INCOMPETENCE

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
1st Gear
Default BG MOA

Rowdy, this might be a good time for you to add a can of BG MOA to your oil. It is typically available at Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the service area. My family has used it on our cars for at least twenty years and we've never had engine troubles that could be linked to lubricant problems, heat issues, viscosity breakdown, or any of those engine fluid concerns. The products from BG aren't exactly inexpensive because they are top-notch quality, in my experience.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: BG MOA

Any additive, BG MOA or otherwise, is a very bad idea for one of these cars. Why? Has BG secured a certification from VW on this stuff? No. Does BG claim that this stuff meets either the 502.00 or 503.01 oil spec? No. Like it or not, if you put that stuff in your engine and then suffer an oil related problem (regardless of whether the BG caused it) the chances are very good that any warranty coverage will be denied.

Folks, like it or not, there are no magic elixirs out there, period, full stop, the end. Use an oil that meets (at the very least) VWs 502.00 oil spec, and if you can't/don't want to do that, I humbly suggest that you trade your car in on a Toyonda.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:59 PM

[sm=exactly.gif]^^^

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shipo

Any additive, BG MOA or otherwise, is a very bad idea for one of these cars. Why? Has BG secured a certification from VW on this stuff? No. Does BG claim that this stuff meets either the 502.00 or 503.01 oil spec? No. Like it or not, if you put that stuff in your engine and then suffer an oil related problem (regardless of whether the BG caused it) the chances are very good that any warranty coverage will be denied.

Folks, like it or not, there are no magic elixirs out there, period, full stop, the end. Use an oil that meets (at the very least) VWs 502.00 oil spec, and if you can't/don't want to do that, I humbly suggest that you trade your car in on a Toyonda.
Shipo,

I've read many of your posts here and on other forums. You are truly an oil expert. Do you see any cause for concern in my situation? The car lost 1 quart of oil. I drove it a total of 45 miles from the time of the service until I noticed the spill underneath the car. I never saw the low oil light. I had the car towed back to the dealer. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

Hey Rowdy, thanks for the kudos.

Regarding your situation, I do have a couple of comments:
[ul][*]First off, no, I don't think any harm came to your engine, you didn't report seeing an oil light, so the engine was still pumping good quantities of oil.[*]Losing a single quart of oil will not even remotely damage an engine, especially so given that you only drove it 45 miles (presumably before much of the lost oil had hada chance to leak out).[*]The one thing I do find troubling is your comment about your dealer claiming that you only lost a quart. While I've never seen the dipstick of an A3, virtually every dipstick that I've seen over the last thirty some years that I've been wrenching on cars can show the oil level even if it's down more thana quart (but will usually show dry by the two quart low level).[*]Personally I'd be inclined to pull your dipstick and inspect it. If there is any significant real-estate below the lower hash mark (i.e. the one quart/liter low point), then I'd be further inclined to challenge your dealer's comments about it being one quart low (if for no other reason than to bust their chops a bit).[/ul]
Keep us posted.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

THANKS Shipo.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

shipo, why are you so angry about engine lubrication?
Do you feel that Mercedes Benz is intentionally misinforming their clientele?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Interwebz oil expert

ORIGINAL: shipo

[ul][*]"...While I've never seen the dipstick of an A3..."[/ul]
Very interesting.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

shipo, why are you so angry about engine lubrication?
Do you feel that Mercedes Benz is intentionally misinforming their clientele?
Before this turns into yet another snake-oil thread I'll simply make a few points and then shut up on the subject:
[ul][*]BG MOA is not approved by VW/Audi for use in any of their engines.[*]Using BG MOA in either of the engines available in the A3 (or any other Audi for that matter) will very likely void your warranty coverage should an oil related failure occur. Said another way, use this stuff at your own risk.[*]Mercedes-Benz DOES NOT recommend BG MOA (or any other oil additive regardless of make or type) for use in their engines.[*]Mercedes-Benz dealerships that sell BG MOA in their service departments are simply padding their profit margin. That some dealerships choose to fleece their customers should in no way be construed as a recommendation by the manufacturer of these fine cars.[/ul]

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Ran a fantastic 1984 Volkswagen GTI to 330,000 miles before the odometer stopped working. It received MOA every-other oil change coupled with high-quality filters. After the odometer broke it accumulated about 110,000 more miles before rust finished the car.
With a completely successful 440,000 miles absent of powerplant issues, I'll say BG MOA did a good job augmenting traditional oil changes. Mercedes Benz doesn't purchase products from vendors just because they like the cans, bottles, or boxes in which it's contained.
I'm sure they were presented with whitepapers and other data to illustrate testing benefits. While not scientific, my anecdotal experience points to a well-researched automotive product. People probably said the same thing about synthetic lubricants back in the day.

With regard to a preserving a helpful thread, the best technique to have employed would have been for you to discard the absurd "trade your Audi for a Toyonda" insult from the start. Enjoy the audiforums.