Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Engine Light and Rough Idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Light and Rough Idling

I bought my 2006 Audi A3 used back in August from a non-Audi dealership. Haven't had any issues thus far outside of replacing two tail lights. Today on the way home from work the engine light came on (not blinking). After I got home I turned it off then started again to see if the light stayed on...it did. I noticed that the engine sounded a little rough.

Engine oil level was good. I've read that there has been an issue the ignition coil in some A3's and wondered if this could be the problem? Also, I received a letter from Audi a few months ago about another potential problem that they are now covering under an extended warranty.

The only thing I noticed while I was poking around under the hood was that the air intake was unattached from the hose and the screws were missing (I thought this was very odd). I fitted the hose back in place as best I could and plan to get the replacement screws tomorrow. Could this have been the problem?

I plan on making an appointment at the dealership as soon as possible but this being my first repair trip with a German car I'm worries about cost and thought any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default A few things

I wouldn't worry about the screws on the intake. Mine fell off a few times, I ended getting some new clips and screws and seems to be ok. As for the idling, it could be the plugs and coils. Had mine replaced at 25k and again today. If you live near an Auto Zone, they will plug in and do a free diagnostic and print out the error code you are getting. I bought my 06 A3 brand new, and love it. If you take regular care of it, it should last. Also, it could be the gas. If the previous owner wasn't using 91 or better octane, you could have dirty injectors. I recently used some BG 44K in the fuel (Think STP on steroids)--- On my way home from the shop today, I was getting 32 MPG. I was a skeptic, but the stuff seemed to work. Get a free diagnostic done, then google the results. It always helps to be informed before ya go to the dealer. Also, if you do need plugs and coils or other parts, get them online and take them in-- much cheaper than buying from the dealer.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got error codes.

I just got back from the auto parts store and they pulled the codes and said its an emissions code. The guy at the store said it's probably either bad gas (I always put in 91) or a whole in the exhaust. Not sure if that would effect the engine and cause it to idle a little rough. At least it's some information to go into the dealer mechanic with.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

When was the last time the injectors were servised? If you had a leaking exhaust you could hear it. If gone on long enough then there is a possibility of a burnt valve, but that is pretty remote. Still it would be worth jacking it up and looking for the leak. Probably not wise to do at home unless you can be sure the car won't fall.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys,
1st post.
I also have a 2006 A3 (2.0) that I bought new back in the summer of 2006. The car has been great and is at 84,200 miles. Kept up diligently with all scheduled services and always use 93 octane.

My check engine light also came on yesterday. The Audi Service Department could not find any reason the light came on after all diagnostic tests came back negative. However, they did tell me of some things that needed to be done. Torn CV boot at $415 and they also recommended a Timing Belt repair sooner than later which is estimated at about $1700.

My questions are this:
(1) What other kinds of costs and repairs should I prepare myself for if I want to keep this car for at least 2-3 more years?
(2) How many miles is an A3 typically good for if well taken care of?

Thanks for any thoughts.

NewMindFashion