Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Faulty Mechatronic (TCU) in DSG

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Sounds good. Is there any detail anywhere about the 100K warranty? The car I was looking at had the 100K warranty, but said it wasn't transferable. Also, if it is one of the AFFECTED cars, isn't audi extending the same warranty regardless? I read that somewhere I know.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Default Blinking gears

I purchasesd my new, NEW 2010 Audi A3 last Sunday and on my way to the bank today, the rpms went up to 4, wouldn't change gears, the D was blinking on the dashboard and I had to pull over. Thank god we weren't on the 101 freeway cause that would have been a surefire accident.

From the other posts, it seems that there was a recall, and I thought that problem would have been fixed. Especially since I ordered my car as a SPECIAL ORDER from the factory. It wasn't one of the ones sitting on the lot since last year. Anyone bought a brand new Audi with this problem?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 A3 blown tranny at 36K miles

2007 A3 2.0T. Bought it last year with 23000 miles. Has ~36K miles currently. Lately I've been experiencing the same jerkiness - never noticed it really in warm weather. I also noticed that when I started the car on really cold mornings, it would jerk - or lurch - even though it was in park.
Yesterday, while on my way home from work, the tranny just crapped the bed - started howling, loss of power to the wheels, grinding, etc.
Thankfully I was only a half mile from home and was able to get the car to crawl home.
Called Audi Road Assistance (who btw was phenomenal) who arranged for a tow to the dealer this morning.
No updates yet - I'll post updates.
This should be interesting...

Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
1st Gear
Default New Mechatonics,,,now needs clutch packs

My 2006 A3 had all those usual problems. My problem....it is a 2006 and despite supposedly same tranny, not on recall despite it being a Audi Certified Pre-owned....therefore out of original warranty. They did replace mechatronics, but call still slipping, especially in reverse, call would not move when cold. Anyway, going to get new clutch packs now, but wondering if this will be the end of problems, or just the end of problems for 10K miles or so. Anyone with new Mechatronics and clutch packs still having issues? Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

Don't forget that all te Auto Tranny's in GTI's are the same as your A3 transmissions.

Tomasz Matusiak
outsourcing IT Warszawa, usługi informatyczne Warszawa, serwis komputerowy Warszawa, projektowanie stron internetowych Warszawa, pozycjonowanie Warszawa

Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 Mechanatronic issues

From day 1 the DSG would not launch smoothly when the trans got hot, e.g. after 10 miles or so. Would almost always lurch from a dead stop. Reverse was "jerky". I thought for a while that this was normal until I read here of others with same problem. Took it into the dealer (~9K miles) and they replaced the control unit. Only issue - it took over 3 weeks to get the part in! I did have a loaner for the whole time. Problem fixed although recently I noticed an occasional abrupt downshift. Time will tell.

Here is the post on the subject. https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130456

Last edited by GA2008A3; 01-23-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add link to old post
Old 02-05-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2008 A3 with the 3.2L engine and recently had the mechatronic unit replaced under warranty. Initially, the car was smoother when accelerating from a stop. Now the herky jerky is back. I'm wondering if the transmission is damaged/out of spec as a result of operating with the original mechatronic unit?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
1st Gear

With my original post on the D3/A8L we have with this issue, and the fact that my letter to Audi President got movement from the dealer to replace the Mechatronic unit, and we still have the thunk from 1st to 2nd, AND we're considering a new vehicle, the big question is whether the new A8 is using a tranny from the same manufacturer. I can't seem to get an answer on this.

Our '06 has been great, but it's time to replace it. We like the new A8/A8L, and i know it's a different transmission, but does anyone know a) who made the '06 A8L trans and b) who makes the '11 A8L trans?

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 02-06-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Faulty Mechatronic Unit

2010 Audi A3 2.0T
20,000 miles

Our car has exact described issues with mechatronic unit. Has been at the dealer one week and they just notified us they are waiting for replacement unit from Germany. One Audi dealer fluffed off the issue and sent us home. We went to dealer we bought car from originally and they are fixing the issue and gave us a loaner car. So incredibly disappointed with Audi

Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Help in the UK?

My A3 s-line (2008 - 27k miles, just out of warranty) failed today. Garage (not Audi) says mechatronic failure. I've read the posts here - so rang Audi customer services and they said they had NO record of any recalls/extensions to gear box warranties.

I told them there were threads on this forum saying there was a problem, there were recalls and that the s line had extended gear box warranty. They said they don't take any notice of any forum.

I believe what everyone is saying - how can I fight my case? Any advice appreciated. I will be taking it to an Audi approved garage tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Faulty Mechatronic (TCU) in DSG