Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Faulty Mechatronic (TCU) in DSG

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BBBBJJ10
My A3 s-line (2008 - 27k miles, just out of warranty) failed today. Garage (not Audi) says mechatronic failure. I've read the posts here - so rang Audi customer services and they said they had NO record of any recalls/extensions to gear box warranties.

I told them there were threads on this forum saying there was a problem, there were recalls and that the s line had extended gear box warranty. They said they don't take any notice of any forum.

I believe what everyone is saying - how can I fight my case? Any advice appreciated. I will be taking it to an Audi approved garage tomorrow.

Sounds like Audi is just trying to avoid a warranty repair/cost. What country are you in? If there is a main Audi country-office (UK, USA, Other), find out who the executive in charge is and write them. There is a long history of this, and Audi knows it, and it would be in the Tech Service Bulletins.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you...

....for posting this. Encourages me.
I'm in the UK. Went to see the Audi garage yesterday with printouts of all the stuff on the web about mechatronic failure. The guy didn't even look at them, which suggests he knew full well what was in them! He said they took no notice of what was on the web because 'there's always something about something'. Waiting to see whether they will fight my corner and if not will write to head honcho at Audi UK and or Germany.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 AM
1st Gear
Smile Mechatronics problem in 2010 Audi A3 1.8TFSI

Originally Posted by dfrost
This is a follow-up to my last post on this thread.

It took 2.5 weeks for the Mechatronics unit to get here from Germany and be replaced. The result is excellent! And I have no complaints about the time it required.

All of my previous complaints regarding the transmission/clutches have been resolved. The car is now MUCH smoother at low speeds and from a stop. Engaging reverse is also improved - not surprising since I suspect that most of the Mechatronic changes affect the clutch engagement control - so parallel parking is easier when trying to creep forward or back.

Interestingly, it also feels like the clutch engages more 'tightly' too. The car seems to accelerate a tiny bit quicker, even without a downshift, but maybe that is the result of driving the 2009 A4 Tiptronic (very nice, but still not as fun as the A3) while my car was at the dealer.

My wife agrees that the car feels significantly more satisfying and fun as either driver or passenger. She had previously complained (as passenger) about the jerks every time when starting off from a stop.

Hi Dfrost.
Id like to follow up and get feedback
How is your Audi A3 since you had your mechatronics module replaced last
aug 20, 2009 which is almost 3.5years ago.

Has your A3 maintained its good ride , no complaints since?
Or has the complaints recurred, like the jerking, erratic gear shifting

I have a 2010 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI , been driving it for 2 years.
One day, the EPC lit up on my instrument panel,
while i was driving in a straight line at only 40kph.
after half a minute, my car stalled in the middle of the road
and had to be towed. Audi said they had to replace the mechatronics module.

My main concern is : if they replace the mechatronics module now,
Will my car stall again in the future. Will the problem reoccur?

I do love to drive my A3 and i intend to keep it if the mechatronics
will work for many years to come...

Volker.
year 2009 A3 white 1.8 TFSI

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drewdrewbb
I am from Canada. I got the official recall letter from Audi that the mechatronic has to be replaced and the warranty of the transmission has been extended to 10 years / 160000 km or 100000 mi . I am not sure if the US Audi will do the same or not.
Is your car an a3 ?

Old 09-22-2016, 01:46 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 Incorrect Gear Ratio

I just purchased a used Audi A3 from Japan with 12000miles. It has this fault of limping when changing gear. The first diagnosis showed a fault code 17114 and the mechanic advised to change the transmission fluid which I did but the jumping is still there. The fault code was erased and did not appear again but the problem remains.

What could be the cause for this? I really don't know what to do with it.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

did the tech who diagnosed the problem drive the car after fluid change? Can they pull any codes? Sounds to me like the same issue as posted in the threads....mechatronic or could be other transmission related. We went through numerous fluid and software changes (blue fluid, green fluid, other)..all a waste of time until the transmission was swapped out. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
did the tech who diagnosed the problem drive the car after fluid change? Can they pull any codes? Sounds to me like the same issue as posted in the threads....mechatronic or could be other transmission related. We went through numerous fluid and software changes (blue fluid, green fluid, other)..all a waste of time until the transmission was swapped out. Good luck.
Yes, he tested the car and assured me the problem will disappear after driving it for a while, today is the second day and I still have the same problem.
The diagnostic machine doesn give any error code anymore but when I apply brakes the car slips as it reduces the gear.
Shifting to a reverse or drive mode delays for about 10seconds and it slips hard like it is jumping

Old 11-03-2016, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by krazyboi
I too recently had a bad TCU, and its been over 1.5 months and no part yet. I had the same clunking you're getting, except when mine comes to a stop, the car goes completely neutral, the PRNDS starts flashing, and the car is immobile unless you power down the car and start up again.

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty.
I am having the same issue with my a4 2.0T. If you contact Audi and tell them about the issue and let them know that after looking up the issue online you saw that it was a very common issue they will notate it and if they hear enough people calling it in they will make a recall and fix the issue.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem. I have Audi A4 2009 and I need to replace the control unit. I just can't seem to find this part and it's too damn expensive since my warranty is expired. Anyone who has any information on this would be helpful please help. I'd appreciate it.