Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First time buying a new car, help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Default First time buying a new car, help please

Hi,
I'm looking into purchasing a new 3.2 A3 with pretty much all the options.
My question is if I order one from the factory how much more should I expect to pay?
Edmunds says $40,500 msrp, $37,500 invoice, and $39,000 is what people are paying on average.
Since I'm not getting one from the lot, do I have any chance for a deal?
The main reason I want one ordered is because I want the factory roof rails installed, plus the Lava Gray is almost imposible to find with the options that I want.
Thanks in advance,
-Kamil

Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: First time buying a new car, help please

It depends on the dealer, but you can still achieve so much above invoice pricing even when you order a A3 from the factory.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

kamil212-

You can still drive a "good deal" because the dealer will not have any "holding costs" affiliated with your vehicle. You'll create your specifications and tell them what you're willing to pay. They can shake your hand or refuse the deal. If they agree, once the car arrives at their dealership, it'll be there for a day or two before you take delivery. They never have to maintain it, fuel it, or really do anything other than detail it for delivery. You'll essentially be a "bluebird" sales deal that drops out of the sky. They don't have to "sell" you or anything.

At the same time, don't be so enamored with the car that they know they have you over a barrel. If you don't like the pricetag, tell them you're going to the Volkswagen dealership to purchase a GTI 4-door with your checkbook instead. You need to be detached and completely clinical. No emotion at all.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

kamil212-

You can still drive a "good deal" because the dealer will not have any "holding costs" affiliated with your vehicle. You'll create your specifications and tell them what you're willing to pay. They can shake your hand or refuse the deal. If they agree, once the car arrives at their dealership, it'll be there for a day or two before you take delivery. They never have to maintain it, fuel it, or really do anything other than detail it for delivery. You'll essentially be a "bluebird" sales deal that drops out of the sky. They don't have to "sell" you or anything.
Definitely true. My experience is thatit does not work as well for custom orders but the facts do work in your favor. If they can avoid any holding cost, it is a definite saving they can pass on. I would basically come to the table with a price you are willing to pay for a car you want. As long as it is reasonable, it should be possible.

At the same time, don't be so enamored with the car that they know they have you over a barrel. If you don't like the pricetag, tell them you're going to the Volkswagen dealership to purchase a GTI 4-door with your checkbook instead. You need to be detached and completely clinical. No emotion at all.

~ Blue Jays ~
Difficult to compare the 3.2 to a GTI, the R32 limited edition would be. Plus the R32 it is a LE and thus has a good sound appeal.

Personally, I can’t sell for **** and I hate haggling. I do my homework (Edmunds is great for this) and present what I call my fair price. If the price does make sense, they will definitely look at it, the worst they can say is no. If they agree, we are in business, if not, well, there is always someplace else. Talking about someplace else, you can also ask via email other dealerships – Edmunds worked great for me so they know what I saw online. I have found good pricing and deals. The problem is that they are often slow to answer, with some patience and without having to go through the sale talk you can get a good deal. It worked well for me in my previous car. For this one (last month) some people were too slow to asnwer (or I would be drving an STI or EVO) and I went with Audi. From start to finish, it lasted less than 3 hours with an hour driving time – to test the DSG vs. MT.

Remember, they cannot say yes if you do not ask.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

I went to the Audi dealership and got a "fair" price with one of the salesmen. I then called every dealership within a 75 mile radius and told them if they could beat the "fair" price and get me the car for X amount a month with X amount down then I would come buy it. Some salesmen werent willing to negotiate but I found one that wanted to work with me and I got a steal of a deal. Dont rush into a purchase thats for sure and never feel obligated to buy anything from anyone.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:02 AM

and yes online is the way to go they have best deals online!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

WOW, Thanks a lot guys, this is some great help.
Now to find the time to do the research, lol.
If I order, it would be the 08 models, right? meaning no specials on financing?
I'm in no hurry, my current Impreza is a great car, just lacks the luxury features.
Now if the quatro came in a stick then I would be sold for sure, lol.