Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

First week driving report Audi A3 S-Line 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: First week driving report Audi A3 S-Line 3.2

I haven't thought much about chipping either. The car has a nice balance of power and economy, and for my use we are doing road trips a lot. However, I do have a nice race track (Thunderhill) only 60 miles to the south. I suppose I could chip it for those occasions alone. But, it's not my first priority. I've been having a hell of a time getting cross bars for my roof rails...but that's another story....

As for gas mileage differences on the 3.2 to 2.0, I would expect about a 5mpg difference. You have a different engine, a heavier car, and Quattro.

I have noticed the rolling backward thing as well, but it does eventually stop. The weirdest thing is the delay it takes to get the auto transmission to decide to kick in in this situation.

I'm currently an 800 mile road trip up to Portland, OR and I'm lovin the car! And so is my wife! (who really didn't see the need for getting the car to begin with.)

Ah. Life is good!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 AM
1st Gear

I just picked up the Audi floor mats from a dealer. Set of four rubber ones were pretty cheap I thought ($76), and they custom fit, which is worth it to me. They clip into the little lock-downs which makes them safer so they don't slide around. Problem was they were black and my car has light grey interior. The price was right and I needed to get them in because of bad weather. Part number from dealer was 8P1-061-450-041 in anyone is interested. There seem to be two rubber mats with factory fit. One is a Euro style and then this other heavy duty one that I bought.

Also, I bought the rubber boot liner for the hatch. It's pretty cool, though fit is so-so. $93. Part 8P5-061-180. I think it's a good idea for the trunk, but now I have to do something else with my cargo net that was on the floor.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: A3S32

I put another couple hundred miles on it this weekend, still totally in love with this car.

The gas milage doesn't seem to be as good as you guys are getting, I don't think there should be that much difference between the 2.0 adn 3.2. On my third tank now.

- Does putting a chip in my car void the warranty? Are there any drawbacks? Is this something I can do myself? Which chip is best?

Thanks for everyones input.
Chipping will most likely void the warranty because it controls a lot of critical functions in the car, however I was talking with the tech over at Don Rosen Imports (in PA) and he is also a tuner himself. He said as long as you were up front with him about mods you did have put in he could work within the warranty. That may not hold true everywhere, in fact he also recommended a good tune in Lebanon, PA.

Chipping an N/A engine does not have the same impact as a turbo engine, you not see the power gain like you would on the 2.0T. Turbo's are a lot more tunable (or at least less expensive to get more power out of it). APR is probably the best VW/Audi tuner IMO and they will direct program the ECU, not replace an factory chip. You can also buy a lockout feature which makes it difficult for the diagnotic tool at the dealer to detect. They do not offer anything for the 3.2 that I know of. To get the same kind of power increases you may have to go w/ a supercharger but don't know anything specific about Audi or VW superchargers.

Good luck....

Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dcny7777

I also have a sloped drive-way and it definetly does roll backward.

Last night I took it out for a drive and did an immediate K turn in the middle of the road to park, and when I had it in reserve it rolled backwards also, I had to put it into DRIVE right away, I didnt know how far back it would roll!!!
Another A3 owner had interesting observation on DSG roll on audizine forum:

"DSG is great except when starting on steep uphills - sometimes when I step off the brake the throttle won't respond for a couple seconds regardless of right foot, and DSG stays disengaged, so car wants to roll back ~ 1 car length before jumping forward."

Guess when I get mine I'll have fun on the steep San Francisco streets. ;-)

Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Remember hill control was added with the 2006 model year - that guy might have had a 2005.5

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Asked a Audi rep on the subject of ESP system option Audi Hill Hold Assistant he said it wasn't perfect and still required you to use the brake somewhat.