Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Gurgling when engaging clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Gurgling when engaging clutch

Hello fellows, i just posted two topics in a row...
butta I'm really really worried about this one.
Almost every time i grind the clutch a little when launching the car,
it gives me a really lousy gurgling sound coming from either the clutch or the engine...
Since i'm no car technician, i can't really tell what is up with this.
But every time this happens, it feels like the car is creaming, and it definitely hurts me too... [:@]
So please enlighten me guys! What could this problem possibly be?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Gurgling when engaging clutch

anybody has or had the same problem with a manual??

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Take it in and go on a drive with Audi tech and duplicate it. That way they can't say they can't duplicate it. Then if it is a problem the warranty should fix it. And they will tell you what it sounds like.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear

Does it rev up fine or does it bog down on you? If its revving fine could be a hydraulics problem. I don't have a similar problem but i have used a bobcat that had faulty hydraulics and it did make a kind of "gurgling" sound. If its cutting the revs it could be a number of things. But as long as you can duplicate it for the dealer then youll be good and it should 100% be covered under warranty.

good luck

Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

thanks 4rings and tm2131!

butta im kinda scared that they are gonna find out about my chip and void my warranty since i still dunt have the lock-out feature... lol ...
And yes, the car revs up just fine. But what is the "hydraulics" exactly? what does it do?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

I actually just realized you have a manual. so its probably not hydraulic related. in the DSG they take a manual gearbox and instead of having a clutch pedal in the car they use a hydraulic pin to actuate the clutch instead of your foot on a pedal. thats basically how that works. But in a manual im not sure if this is still true but at least in older models they use hydraulics to assist in the actual physical "shifting"(not with the clutch but the gear selection). it would make for smoother easy shifting. i think older a4 manual gearboxes used hydraulic assist but im not sure if they still use the system or if its somthing new or totally different.

With the chip... it kind of depends on your dealership. im between Tampa and Boston and my dealership in tampa (reeves audi) actually deals revo chips and when i went in for an oil change at 10k they asked if mine was chipped because they needed to re-flash the engine. They were totally cool with it being chipped and when i asked about the possible warranty issue they simply said this is a car thats made to be motored with and that i ahd nothing to worry about with them any way in terms of modifications hurting my warranty. Now in boston i dont think it would fly (rietzel norewell) there a nightmare and everyone int the area knows it. So if your dealership has been good to you in the past dont sweat it. check out www.dealerrater.com and see which one in your area you think will be best.

Hope this helps

-Tim

Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Tim! Wow.. that is really an awesome site... how come i didn't know this before?? butta it doesn't seem to have much info on my dealership. oh well, i guess i'll just get my lock-out installed b4 i go near the dealership... thanks again Tim!