Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

HID and windscreen wiper help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 AM
zen
Question HID and windscreen wiper help

hey guys how are ya? i am from Australia Melbourne i had my a3 8p 2008 windscreen wiper broke down last sat morning the car was send it to audi this morning and the guy at the service send me this email

Thank you for your email in regards to the concerns with you Audi A3, in particular the windscreen wiper operation. We have inspected the vehicle in our workshop this morning and have located the cause of the wiper faults. We have noticed that your vehicle has been fitted with aftermarket xenon headlights. The installation of these aftermarket light kits has caused the failure of the electronic components of the wiper control unit. Audi AG are aware of these kits causing this particular type of fault, having had several reported cases previously. In order to rectify this, we need to obviously replace the wiper control unit.

As this failure has been attributed to the fitment of aftermarket xenon headlights & not a manufacturing defect, the repairs will not be covered under Audi’s New Vehicle warranty. This being the case, the repair will cost yourself $765.31 including parts & labour. Also the headlights will require to be returned to the standard configuration in order to prevent this particular fault from re-occurring. Failure to refit the genuine headlight globes will void the parts warranty on the wiper control unit.
can you guys verify this problem after searching through the net i couldn't find anything similarities. please help? thank you

Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear

this problem's getting pretty common nowadays due to aftermarket hid kits. they're blowing out the motors for the windshield wipers.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

That really sucks.....especially on new cars...if you really want HID...then order. The cost 'savings' just died with the wiper motor.

Of, I didn't see your question below the email. Yes, unfortunately this is a very well-known problem and well-documented. The HIDs use more current at start up, then draw less. The wiring is connected in some way to the wiper motor, and there-in lies the problem. Afraid other than the good graces of the dealer to look the other way, not much chance you will get out of this.

Last edited by TPE_A3; 12-03-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Didn't see the question!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
zen

thanks for the common guys got my car back today and had the original light back on guess i had to stay with it till the next upgrade cheers

Old 03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Audi A3 blows the wiper motor if u install a regular HID.

There is an European company that it has been selling an exclusive HID for Audi A3 for more than 2 years.

You can find more info in their Blog:
http://welldonehid.wordpress.com/200...di-a3-8p-2003/

& their website:
www.welldonehid.com

There are 2 special HID for:

- Audi A3 (2003 - 2009)
www.welldonehid.com/en/HID-A38P-H7

- Audi A3 (+2010)
www.welldonehid.com/HID-H7-A38P-Restyling

- Also Fix for the Broken Wiper Motor:
www.welldonehid.com/Audi-A3-Reparacion-Motor-Limpia

European Audi forums like Audisport-Iberica use to make purchasing groups to them.

Have a look here:
http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source...B-1aQc2XQ6_KGQ

The forum is not working right now, will be online soon.

Last edited by blazedani; 11-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by blazedani
Audi A3 blows the wiper motor if u install a regular HID.

There is an European company that it has been selling an exclusive HID for Audi A3 for more than 2 years.

You can find more info in their Blog:
Kit de Xenon para Audi A3 8P (+2003) | Welldone Lighting (Español)

& their website:
Well-Done - Equipados para alcanzar sus objetivos

There are 2 special HID for:

- Audi A3 (2003 - 2009)
www.welldonehid.com/en/HID-A38P-H7

- Audi A3 (+2010)
www.welldonehid.com/HID-H7-A38P-Restyling

- Also Fix for the Broken Wiper Motor:
www.welldonehid.com/Audi-A3-Reparacion-Motor-Limpia

European Audi forums like Audisport-Iberica use to make purchasing groups to them.

Have a look here:
Compra conjunta kit xenon A38P, luces matricula led, posicion led.... - Audi A3 8P (2003-2012) - Audisport Iberica

The forum is not working right now, will be online soon.
Sorry to resurrect and old thread but thought this better than making a new one as it applies to me.

I have a 2000 Audi A3 8L. I don't have access to a garage per se so Im looking at knowing if this is a job I could do in a day in my parking lot? Is the hookup as straight forward as the Welldone website says? Basically, plug and play? Would the most time sensitive obstacle be removing the bumper?

And Welldone prides itself on this not blowing the wiper motor. Is this still accurate?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Default WELLDONEHID website!

I am trying to find a solution to my HID installation problem, but this website is in Spanish and nobody ever answers my e-mail! Any input in what to do?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by GIJOE0916
I am trying to find a solution to my HID installation problem, but this website is in Spanish and nobody ever answers my e-mail! Any input in what to do?
Did you try to contact by other methods?

Whatsapp:
+1 3477661661

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/welldonehid

For the user asking if Welldonehid is safe...
You can check the group buys from different Audi forums.

AudiSport-Iberica - 2013 (Spain)
Compra conjunta KITS XENON WELLDONE - Compras Conjuntas - Audisport Iberica

VWvortex - 2013 (United States)
VWVortex.com - Group Buy on Well Done HID kit

Audi-Sport - 2014 (UK)
*** HID group buy from WELLDONEHID. Wiper safe. *** | Audi-Sport.net

Audi-Sport - 2015 (UK)
** Welldone HID for Audi A3 - Group Buy** | Audi-Sport.net

Last edited by blazedani; 03-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.