Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

High Mileage A3 life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
1st Gear
Default High Mileage A3 life expectancy

Hello All,
I'm just curious to see if anyone else it putting miles on their cars like I do, how it has stood up, and everyone's best guess on when the cost/mile drive goes above the cost of replacing the car with something newer.

I bought a 2007 A3 2.0T with the six speed manual, as options I got the technology and S Line packages. I got the car brand new in Spring of 2007.

I just rolled over 150,000 miles on it - it's my company car so it gets a lot of miles on it. I have changed the oil only with Mobil 1 and been very good about all other maintenance - after all I'm not paying for it, so why not?

The car has had no problems at all until it hit about 140,000 miles. I had to replace the crankcase breather valve, and it looks like my ac compressor is starting to slip.

Has anyone else put that kind of miles on their car, and how are they doing repair wise? I may end up buying the car at the end of the year and take a car allowance instead of an actual car.

I figure most cars today are good through 250,000 miles, perhaps even further. At some point though reliability will come into play, and as repair bills come it it will at some point be cheaper to get a new car - just trying to estimate what that point will be. Unfortunately, 250,000 miles will only be about three years off with my driving pattern.

If I can buy the car for say $4500, then that's not bad for another three years worth of running. Once I buy it I would take over paying for maintenance as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nathan

Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

My wife has a college friend with an 2003 A4 Avant that recently went over 200K miles and has had no significant problems. She is planning on buying a new one in the fall.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

I have the same car but just put 55,000 miles on it. Except for wearing tires out I haven't had any problems. I was worried about the reliability but it's been better than my 1999 Silverado. I'll get the new car itch and probably replace it before I reach 100k.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

AC compressor is a known issue.
The 2.0T also has issues with cam follower, so you should check that to see if it is worn out. I think if it wears out and destroys itself inside the engine, Audi will take care of it, but they won't take care of preventive maint.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

So far I've been thrilled with my car. Before this I was hooked on bmw's, and was convinced of their reliability and performance - still am actually.

I was not sure on the Audi - when I worked at Carmax years ago in college all I heard was reliability issues, primarily with the 1.8T.

However, my company car budget would not cover a bmw, so I got the A3 instead figuring no problem, the company pays for all maintenance and repairs.

So far the car has been great as far as reliability. I replaced the battery at 120K, but that's really more of a wear item than an actual repair. Other than that just the breather valve has been replaced and the compressor is being replaced friday.

I would buy the car over again.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:14 PM
1st Gear
Default High miles

Originally Posted by nhobba3
Hello All,
I'm just curious to see if anyone else it putting miles on their cars like I do, how it has stood up, and everyone's best guess on when the cost/mile drive goes above the cost of replacing the car with something newer.

I bought a 2007 A3 2.0T with the six speed manual, as options I got the technology and S Line packages. I got the car brand new in Spring of 2007.

I just rolled over 150,000 miles on it - it's my company car so it gets a lot of miles on it. I have changed the oil only with Mobil 1 and been very good about all other maintenance - after all I'm not paying for it, so why not?

The car has had no problems at all until it hit about 140,000 miles. I had to replace the crankcase breather valve, and it looks like my ac compressor is starting to slip.

Has anyone else put that kind of miles on their car, and how are they doing repair wise? I may end up buying the car at the end of the year and take a car allowance instead of an actual car.

I figure most cars today are good through 250,000 miles, perhaps even further. At some point though reliability will come into play, and as repair bills come it it will at some point be cheaper to get a new car - just trying to estimate what that point will be. Unfortunately, 250,000 miles will only be about three years off with my driving pattern.

If I can buy the car for say $4500, then that's not bad for another three years worth of running. Once I buy it I would take over paying for maintenance as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nathan
Hi Nathan my A3 is 14 yrs old. I bought it 13 yrs ago with 4,500 miles and 1 previous owner. I religiously get jobs done as needed, have a FSH have had 3 cam belt n pump changes on her and she has done.......239,000 miles so far. I'm aimimg for 250,000 which will be around Christmas this year. I'm no slow coach driver and she's helped me through several house moves and refurbs and recently we completed a 1347 mile charity drive. I'd recommend Audis snd defo have another!
Just check you get FSH and proof of cam belt vhsnge etc. I have all the bills for mine even now.
Good luck and enjoy your Audi!