Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

High Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default High Mileage

What is considered "high mileage" for an A8? I know with Lexus, most folks say that at 100,000 miles, it's just getting broken in. The engine and transmission goes for 250,000 miles + strong without any issues. Would this apply to the A8? Would you hesitate to buy an 06 or 07 A8 with 70,000 or 80,000 miles if you could save a few thousand as opposed to buying one with 40,000 miles? Do higher mileage A8's still drive "new" at high mileage like a Lexus would?

Comments please. Thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

mostly its about maintenance. if the vehicle has been well maintained, regular oil changes etc. it should last for quite a while. there are of course caveats. any mechanical system is destined to fail eventually. there are manufacturing tolerances that lead to variability in the expected life span of various components. any modern car is an amalgamation of may complex interconnected electrical and mechanical systems in which a failure can lead to a cascade effect of failures.

all that said, 100K miles on a properly maintained vehicle is probably not too much of a concern. we have members on the forum with older cars that have 250K or more miles on older vehicles.

my opinion would be that it depends on how long you plan to keep the car and how many miles you expect it to last. it may be more cost effective to spend a little bit more up front to get a lower mileage vehicle that will last you a longer time and be more wallet friendly with respect to maintenance (btw Audi maintenance is anything but wallet friendly). If you can't (or choose not to) afford a lower mileage vehicle, one with higher mileage will probably be just fine but beware of the drawbacks.

good luck

Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM
2nd Gear

Even older model (D2 97-03) A8's still drive like new at high mileages. I've had my '01 since 35K...now at 112K miles....smooth, tight, like new.
If you're looking at 06-07 (D3), those models are well past "problems" with D2's having trans problems at high mileage...no inherent engine problems though.
07 A8's have the newer, better FSi direct injection engines...if you have a choice, go for this...as good as they were, these are better.
Comparing to a Lexus is not really "logical"...Lexus may show a bit better on overall maintenance cost over the years and "statistically" more dependable, but not actually by a lot....AND more importantly, if you haven't driven both, they 2 VERY different animals. Lexus's are boring luxury rolling couches...A8's are totally unique, even among other Audi's, in behavior, construction, uniqueness and a pure pleasure to drive in any situation...relaxed cruising or at it's limit. I personally, have never felt safer in or more in control of any car.
No Japanese car can be compared to a similar size/class German car. Japanese are obsessed with tech and statistics....Germans are obsessed with controlled, predictable, fun driving.