Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How often do your ABS activate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
1st Gear
Default How often do your ABS activate?

Hello!

Just a question for all of you. I'm wondering how often you stop quickly enough that the ABS comes on. (Aside from winter driving conditions I suppose!)

I drive an A3 2.0TDI here in Taipei, and lets say that I'm, well, spirited, in my application of the throttle. Which also means a sometimes equally spirited application of the brakes! About once a month or so I need to make an 'urgent' (as opposed to emergency!) stop to avoid some nut bar that doesn't know what rear view mirrors are for! The feeling and sound of the ABS activating usually gets my heart rate up a bit! And while on this topic, what would be a sensible brake upgrade for me? (Hot weather, lots of stop and go, and sometimes torrential rain!)

Is that normal? Excessive? The driving conditions here are obviously hectic...lots of cars...and a general disregard for traffic laws...but an orderly confusion all the same. Just want to know what your experiences are.

Thanks all!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: How often do your ABS activate?

Im pretty much the same way on the freeway and do run into those clueless people on their cell phones going 50 in the fast lane or decide to randomly come in my lane when im next to them. Ive been in situations when I have had to slam the breaks but not to the point where I need abs on the real road(maybe once or twice). I doubt you will need to upgrade to nicer breaks and the having to use ABS once a month shouldn't be bad at all. When I was in the process of getting my lisence there was a drivers course that I took where you did a lot of worse come to worse senarios with your car and it was a two day course where ABS kicked in way too many times to count and the cars still fine. I wouldn't worry its an Audi

edited*