Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

INTAKE info and Preferences...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default INTAKE info and Preferences...

I'm fairly new at this MOD stuff. Haven't owned a decent European Auto before to finley tune.
Anyhoo...
Looking at Intakes, first thought was the K&N intake. Any takers here?
Next, what is the concencus here on CAI, from who (neuspeed, carbino...etc.) And Am I going to be wasting money money on the K&N intake. Whos the best?

I know some of you guys hate getting Newb quesitons like this...but I have looked at all the forums and yet to see a definite winner/loser/waste of money! So your input is much apprectiated guys!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: INTAKE info and Preferences...

with most cars, intakes are all the same. you have your cold air variety with the filter hidden down in the bumper area, or the short ram type that has the filter in the engine bay itself. The carbonio is more of a stock replacement with good carbon fiber looks and a high flow filter, but not performance benefit. If you are looking for power, forget the intake for now and go for a chip. It will by far make the largest difference of anything you can do to the car. APR or Revo are the favorites around here.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick response...I figured the Chip is the best option...

Chips is#1, I was thinking exhaust and CAI as #2...

How much power am I looking at for a CAI or just a regular intake?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ryandlor
How much power am I looking at for a CAI or just a regular intake?
Next to nothing despite what the manufacturers tell you. However, better breathing is always good and you may feel some benefit at the top end of the rev range.

I've fitted a K&N filter but it's more vanity than anything else. I know it's better than the standard paper job but apart from a bit more of a growl under load I'm sure it doesn't really do much.

On my Octavia 1.8T I had the ABD LAN and Green air filter (as big as a house and hidden behind the bumper). Apart from anything else it sounded superb. Like Darth Vader with a touch of cold if you can imagine that. Excellent for tunnels and built up areas.

Can you tell I'm in a 'tell it like it is' mood?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Hey, I much prefer the "tell it like it is " mood....than the "What I have in my car is better than yours"!

Cheers!!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

It's the law of diminishing returns. Get your remap done (by whoever) and you'll never get as much bang for your buck with any other mod. You'd have to start messing around with front mounts and big turbos, the gain then is just limited by how deep your wallet is. Stuff like CAI is just gravy.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Just go with evoms... it just makes sense. Here's a review with pics https://www.audiforums.com/m_346754/tm.htm

Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Like others have said the ECU upgrade will give you the most bang for our buck. I personally like putting CAI when I install an exhaust on our cars. A CAI on its own won't give you much of an increase in power if any.