Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

CAI Intake Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Default CAI Intake Info

I'm sure this question is borderline stupid, but I'll shoot anyway.

I have yet to do anything performance-wise to my 2.0T, and I was wondering if a CAI was a good start (money tightness). Another question I had was if there is anyway to get the dealer to be cool with the intake. Is it possible to take it to them to have it installed and have it not affect the warranty? What is the best (subjective, I know) intake to get if I plan on going Revo in the near future.

Thanks all,
Danny

Old 11-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Default RE: CAI Intake Info

Danny,

I would chip the car first since it's only a $100 or so more than the CAI. You'll definitely get more for your money with the chip. I have a CAI and it definitely helps and sounds good, but not that huge of a power gain. The K&N guy quoted a 20 hp gain over stock, but you know those numbers are very questionable. There are several CAI on the market - EVOMS, Neuspeed, Carbonio, & K&N(soon). We have someone in SoCal that has a 2.0T with one of these except the Neuspeed. Not sure how much of a difference there is between each of the units. The Carbonio and EVOMS material seems to stay the coolest, but not sure if K&N will be using Aluminum for all of the piping on the production units? I like the carbon fiber look of the Carbonio, and the hardware and style look of the K&N. It's a tough one to pick at the moment. Hard to compare performance gains between all of the different units at this point. You can definitely tell that this engine sucks a ton more air with the CAI though. Definitely worth putting on your list for performance mods, but for me it would be second after the chip.

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear

I have an AEM cold air, and I just had the 5k service done at Beverly Hills Audi about two weeks ago. They were totally cool with it. The tech even asked me where he could get one.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 PM

Yeah, forgot about the AEM, but the dealer should be good with any CAI. They don't see that as a problem for the most part.

Cheers!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear

Yes dont let any one of those makers of cai tell you that you are going to gain 15 to 20 hp over stock, that's just bull shiat.
Check them all out read about wich one proclaims to give you the most and dont buy that one, go for the one that is in the avg of numbers. If that makes any sense

Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

Did K&N ever show the dyno sheets of ur CAI chef? AEM showed me mine, and I think you can find their dyno sheets online somewhere too. It was 20 hp. Well, either way, we both got our CAI's for free, so who can complain?

Old 11-14-2006, 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: boywonder

Did K&N ever show the dyno sheets of ur CAI chef? AEM showed me mine, and I think you can find their dyno sheets online somewhere too. It was 20 hp. Well, either way, we both got our CAI's for free, so who can complain?
K&N showed me the stock run, but wouldn't send me the CAI run until they had released the production units to the public. He will be emailing me the dyno when released. However, he did say that the third gear run was the best and it was a 20hp gain. Sounds fairly typical of all of the CAI manufacturers.