Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

iPod Adapter... The other side!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear
Default iPod Adapter... The other side!

I got my A3 before I doscovered this forum... and thus would have prob done some things differently as far as options... None the less I am extremely happy with the A3 and now love my commute!

As for the iPod adapter, I have seen no positive comments in this forum... so I have decided to tell anyone considering it the benefits to getting it as at first I didn't see any!

If you think you are getting a fully functional adapter, look elsewhere... The navigation and having 5 playlists to feed from is nothing like having an iPod in your hands and if this is what you want consider something else.

However on the other side, consider this... I used to have an IS300 which I initially had the dealer install an after-market iPod adapter to. It was an FM modulator, but it was hard-wired into the radio... basically you plugged it into the radio and then plugged the antenna into it. The iPod sounded great... but the radio now sucked! I live in NYC and when listening to radio stations (92.3 for example) I would loose reception when I got about 30 miles out of the city. I just took my A3 on its first road trip and make it 82 miles before the reception was too poor to listen to the station anymore. If the radio is important to you... I would strongly consider this.

Also, I am now much happier now that I think about the iPod adapter differently... I have given up hope of having navigation as simple as my iPod and now think of it as more of an unlimitted CD changer in the car. Instead of having the 6-Disc changer that you can have in its place... I now basically have a 50 disc changer. I went into my iTunes and exported the song lists to excel and keep that in the car now... I also have one playlist that seperates it by artist and have a second small list of the album titles and what song number starts the disc... so instead of selecting from disc's 1-6 I have all the albums I want in my car... Yes it is kinda a pain in the *** some-times... but hey so is changing disc's in the CD player!

Anyway, I just thought I would add my opinion on the adapter cause if I read this forum before I got my car there is no way I would have spent the money on it... I was basically conned by the sales person, who in my opinion was prob too old to know what an iPod was, and convinced me it was "fully integrated"... At first I was real pissed I spent the money as it def isn't fully integrated... but now after some time I am extremely happy I spent the money!