Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Koni switch from FSD to Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Koni switch from FSD to Sport

I recently swapped out my Koni FSD's for Koni Sports (Yellows). The reason for the swap is long and boring, but the bottom line is that two sets of FSD's failed for some yet unexplained reason. The crew at Neuspeed were professional as usual and suggested I try the Koni Sports instead.

Huge difference. What I lost in smoothness (The FSD's are phenomenal at smoothing out the chatter) I more than made up in performance and razor sharp steering response. The Sports with the RSB set to full stiff makes for noticeably less body roll than the FSD's allowed as well.

I know a lot of ppl run the FSD's and they are awesome. If they hadn't failed, I would still have them - and recommend them. But they do make the ride a bit "luxurious." With the Sports, my car feels like a sports car again! Anyway, if ever learn why the FSD's failed, I'll post the info.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Great feedback. BTW where did you set the rebound on the Konis?

Also, since getting to the front adjusters is a pain, I made a tool from a cheap screwdriver and used a cutoff grinder to make a slot to fit the top of the shocks. That way I avoid either cutting a hole in the mesh or having to take it off to adjust the shocks.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

I set the rears at 180 degrees which is still towards the soft side (because they can't be adjusted once there in without a lot of drama), and left the fronts at full soft. I'm not sure I understand how you are avoiding pulling the mesh to get to the top of the struts. I know the mesh can be pulled up on the engine side without actually removing it - it should allow enough access to turn the ****.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

lavadrifter,

Two sets of failed FSDs?!?!

I just had mine stop "working" on Sunday. Suddenly I was bounce, bounce, bouncing over bumps and through dips. I called Koni yesterday and the gentleman I spoke with assured me he had only seen two or three failed FSDs. Perhaps, :-) , he was referring to yours!

One last question, did they ALL fail or just one, or one pair?