Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Leg Room

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Leg Room

Is the meet in san diego tommorow? Ill have to check back when u guys have a meet at the spectrum again.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Leg Room

There is a surprising amount of room in all directions in this car. I, too, am a pretty tall (and thin) guy and this was my main concern after falling in love with the car. I'm 6'3" with long arms and legs. I fit quite comfortably in the car, legs and head wise. I have the seat most of the way back and the steering wheel about 3/4 of the way out (away from the dash). This configuration gives me the most comfortable leg room and keeps the arm length to the wheel comfortable as well. I have the seat lowered about as far as it goes (manual, not power) and it gives me good line of sight out the windshield and leaves me a bit of head room. There is still room for a passenger behind me, albeit somewhat cramped (F them, I'm driving! ) The only minor nuisance is that it puts my shoulder right next to the B pillar, kind of annoying when I am reaching out the window, such as at a drive thru. My father has driven the car as well and he is 6'8" and quite a bit bulkier than me. I don't think he would be comfortable driving it for long periods of time, but he was taken aback as well by how roomy it is. His head still cleared the roof and he had some gap between his knees and the steering wheel. I also had a truck before I got the A3, and sitting in the A3 seems much more natural. It seems more like the car flows around your body, rather than feeling like you are sitting upright at a table, as in a truck. Don't know if that makes sense, but I don't know how else to put it into words.

Keep in mind, as someone else posted, that there isn't a whole lot of room between the gas and brake pedals. I wear a size 14 shoe, and it took me a day or two to get used to driving without unintentionally tapping the brake. Also, a lot of people have complained about the placement of the center console in relation to the knees. It doesn't bother me, but I tend to actually rest my right knee on the edge of the console when driving for long periods. This tends to give my foot good placement on the gas while clearing the brake pedal. Your best bet is to go to the dealer and sit in one. Play with the seat and see if you can find a comfortable position. This is what I did before I got too comitted to the idea of this car. You won't even have to waste a salesperson's time for this if you're not ready to purchase.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up deciding!