Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Misfire when cold/damp, classic coil pack issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Misfire when cold/damp, classic coil pack issue?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm pretty new to Audis but have pretty good knowledge of other types of car.

My girlfriend has a 2006 Audi A3 1.6 (Engine Code BSE). It has recently started misfiring when not used for a day or so and normally when it's wet/damp outside. This has been getting progressively worse, Audi didn't pick up anything when asked to check it out during a service about two weeks ago.

Here's the key, the check engine light sometimes flashes when misfiring which throws on the ABS light, switching off the ignition off clears the ABS light and once war/dry the car runs fine.

My friend has a VAGCOM system and the only fault is a misfire on cylinder 2, and an ABS fault probably caused by the misfire somehow.

I'm thinking this is a classic coil pack failure, this car has a single coil pack unit and I have herd that this can happen in the wet if it's cracked or the case breached somewhere.

Just looking for a bit of validation here from someone with experience, and any pointer on how to access the coal pack unit on this model to change it would also be welcome!

Many Thanks,
Gabriel