Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

need some a3 transmission information pls

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear
Default need some a3 transmission information pls

I purchased a 2006 A3 2.0T FWD about 3 months ago. In the last week I have noticed stiffness in shifting out of 1st into 2nd gear, and from 2nd into 3rd. I'm pretty sure this is happening when I downshift in those gears also. The only work that I have done myself on this car is replace the brakes/rotors, and replace the cv boot on drv side.

My car is a manual 6speed, not the DSG. I have looked over this forum and many others and there is very little to no information on troubleshooting the transmission on this car.

My first thought is to check the level and condition of the transmission fluid, but apparently there is no dipstick.

Can someone shed some light or steer me in a direction?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

.....edited

Last edited by naps; 01-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

you welcome

Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

Last edited by naps; 01-22-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 AM
1st Gear

Is the transmission stiff only when the weather is cold?
Is there stiffness when shifting in and out of other gears than those mentioned?
Please define what "stiffness" mens to you. Is it difficult to move the shift lever? Is the movement of the lever sluggish, etc.?
If you have the opportunity, I suggest that you find someone with a similar car who will allow you to operate his/her shift mechanisn to compare it with yours.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by naps
I purchased a 2006 A3 2.0T FWD about 3 months ago. In the last week I have noticed stiffness in shifting out of 1st into 2nd gear, and from 2nd into 3rd. I'm pretty sure this is happening when I downshift in those gears also. The only work that I have done myself on this car is replace the brakes/rotors, and replace the cv boot on drv side.

My car is a manual 6speed, not the DSG. I have looked over this forum and many others and there is very little to no information on troubleshooting the transmission on this car.

My first thought is to check the level and condition of the transmission fluid, but apparently there is no dipstick.

Can someone shed some light or steer me in a direction?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

Ben, it is only in the gears I listed. There is no grinding, clunking, whining, etc...it just feels like it does not want to come out of first, second, and sometimes does not want to go INTO reverse in the past few days (that just started happening few days ago). I will have the clutch fully pressed down, and it does not want to come out of first or second easily. Thats all the info I can give. I def dont mean to sound like a smarta**, but I posted on this Audi forum thinking that others with an A3 might havr some insight, experience with troubleshooting transmission issues. I dont know anyone else w an A3. I guess I'll ask at a shop. I def appreciate your reply.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

and yes its is the lever, but I assume any stiffness I feel in the lever is related to an issue in the transmission itself or the fluid. Also, it has been colder here in the last month, but not significantly colder than when I purchased it October 25..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by naps
Ben, it is only in the gears I listed. There is no grinding, clunking, whining, etc...it just feels like it does not want to come out of first, second, and sometimes does not want to go INTO reverse in the past few days (that just started happening few days ago). I will have the clutch fully pressed down, and it does not want to come out of first or second easily. Thats all the info I can give. I def dont mean to sound like a smarta**, but I posted on this Audi forum thinking that others with an A3 might havr some insight, experience with troubleshooting transmission issues. I dont know anyone else w an A3. I guess I'll ask at a shop. I def appreciate your reply.
I'm at a loss. You are correct in that the A3 is not a high volume car [understatement]. However, it shares it's drivetrain and platform with the VW Golf. You might have better luck on a VW forum since there are lots more of them. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Update: I did lots of searching and found a huge amount of differing possiblities, so I took it to a performance place. Half an hour labor and no parts. They realigned the shift cables and problem was solved.

Following this, I searched 'realign shift cables/linkage' and found many many many diys, and the majority of people who tried doing the realigment themselves said it was much easier than they thought.

I'm amazed at just how many people have had this issue of stiffness coming out of first gear, and the disproportionate of information related to that. I understand that transmission issues can be complicated, but jeez.

One other thing I want to add..I have a good feeling that if I had taken this car to my dealer, or neighborhood 'import' place that I would have been taken to the cleaners and been -$500 at LEAST. When I was at the shop, I asked if we should also change out the 'lifetime transmission fluid' because I'm at 92k....he said "no, see how this realignment goes first. If it doesn't help, then we'll start going through the list of other possibilities/solutions." MOst places would tell you, you need to have ALL of this stuff done, blah blah....and the fix is usually bs. Thank you EP Works Indianapolis!