Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Default New All Season Tires

I am replacing the OEM Pirelli P6 (El Stinkos) with something. I am interested in the experiences of anyone who has switched from the P6 to any all season (M&S)tire that is QUIET and also performs more than just adequately.

Tire Rack and Discount Tire (are there others?) have an array of confusing tests and testimonials.

I live in the NE with moderate snow on the average. Any help for this community would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New All Season Tires

I'm about a month on a set of GoodYear Eagle F1 All Seasons. They have been excellent so far and were reasonably priced. WAY quieter than the P6's and I believe they've been handling better. I'm in GA, so no snow info for you.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

I was quite pleased with the Bridgestone RE960AS tires on the BMW that I just sold. I've heard some good things about Toyo Proxes4 but no direct experience. They are only sold through brick and mortar stores, AFAIK.

Tire Rack and Discount Tire (are there others?) have an array of confusing tests and testimonials
I presume you've seen Tire Rack's latest test - that wasn't confusing to me. Based on that test, sounds like the Goodyears that edeckerpc is using, or the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S would be excellent, depending on how important wet traction is to you.

Have you called the Tire Rack? I get excellent advice from their salepeople. I'vehad great interactions withWes Chaffee (x648) for the last few tire purchases. He recently told me that the Goodyears were surprisingly good, although a bit "grumbly." You'll have to ask him what he means by that.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 PM

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S appear to be the best tires out there, but at $181 each, a bit pricey. Michelin makes a cheaper A/S that is almost as good. I am in the same predicament. What do I do with new P6's that suck? I will probably wait for the first snow and see how they react.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S appear to be the best tires out there
Curious you'd say that when Tire Rack said about the Michelin (in the test report I linked): "Conclusion: A former class-leader that's beginning to show its age."

The other tires in that test (Bridgestone RE960 AS, Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, and Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season) all had good and less good points, and at $134-140 they're all significantly less expensive then the Michelins.

And does anybody have experience with the Toyo Proxes4?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

I just put my new 16" Bridgestone Blizzak WS60's on 2 weeks ago just before a small snow storm here in York, PA. They worked great with no slipping on slippery/snow covered back roads. On dry or wet roads the ride is pretty smooth with great traction. I have the sport package so my car was already a little noisier but these tires seem to be as quiet if not quieter than my Continental street rubber.

A5T

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm in the same predicament...I have 2.7t and I do not like the P6's at all...I need to replace them but I don't have any experience with Bridgestones...I've always had good luck with Michellin A/S on other cars but no experience with them on Audi's...

Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Also got the Bridgestone Pole Positions RE960AS and they were pretty good in the wet weather we had last week in the Bay Area. A little more quieter than the P6s that came stock on mine on the highway in dry driving conditions too. Am pretty pleased with them for now.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

I have the Continental ConiPro Contacts that came with the car. I am in NE too, used to lots of snow. These tires have been great all season tires. For an all season tire, I have been happy with the performance as well. Although they do have about 40,000 mi on them, and have gotten LOUD!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

I had Conti Extreme Contacts on a WRX and really liked them.I have 18" rims on the A3 and recently put Bridgestone Pole Positions on them. They are fine, but I think these 18" wheelsare a little harsh. I think the 17" is the best rim for the A3 unless you drive smooth roads all of the time. There are a lot of roads with bumps and pot holes around here that really slam the 18".