Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

new to AUDI - MINI S or A3

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: new to AUDI - MINI S or A3

i was in a similar dilema. I looked into the Mini S because i realy liked the car, until I sat in it. I remember thinking to myself there is no way i can fit more than one other person in here. also after driving itat about 60 mph, the ride got realy uncomfortable and even a little scary because of the shaking.I also checked out the volkswagon GTI and the Lexus IS 250 but none came close to the audi. bottom line the mini is fun with no practicality while the audi gives you all hte fun you need yet its practicle for everyday driving.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

I'll echo what most folks are saying here. I own an Mini S and I just ordered an A3, mostly because I am sick and tired of the suspension -- the Baltimore pothole streets require a kidney belt. And it is a little more practical but what sold me was that the A3 is basically as fun to drive but it's more luxerious. It's more solid. The new Mini will have corrected the suspension issue and it's supposed to drive a bit more adult so you may want to wait until you can drive it but I am sure it won't be on par with the solid built of the A3. BTW, don't let comments like "girly car" influence your decision, remarks like that says more about the person delivering them than the topic.
Either way, good luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

is driving a 'girly' car really so bad? I mean doesnt that mean that girls will like the car and possibly the driver? I'm just sayin...

Hard to compare the two cars, since they are designed with different goals in mind. Its like asking if a Carrera GT is better then a Rolls Royce Phantom....similar price tag, but nothing in common other then that.
The mini's main goal is fun, and it does that well. The A3 is a much more rounded car, with just as much enphasis on luxury as fun leading to a balance of fun/power/luxury and thats what sold me on the car.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

If your steets are smooth and your weather is warm all year like it is here, the MINI can be an entertaining, fun ride. Modded it only gets better. The MINI does not do well on rough streets or ice and snow. The A3 delivers nearly the same entertainment but can be modded much easier and for alot less money. BMW did a good job bringing the MINI to market, but it was not perfect-rattles and quality issues. The 07s probably will solve some of these issues.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Vegasdan

If your steets are smooth and your weather is warm all year like it is here, the MINI can be an entertaining, fun ride. Modded it only gets better. The MINI does not do well on rough streets or ice and snow. The A3 delivers nearly the same entertainment but can be modded much easier and for alot less money. BMW did a good job bringing the MINI to market, but it was not perfect-rattles and quality issues. The 07s probably will solve some of these issues.
The 07 MINI is supposed to be a couple of inches bigger, but ride noise has been a negative up to this point. For the most part A3's are so much more solid then a MINI as far as ride noise, no rattles, buzzing, or clicks on mine.

Lets remember that when comparing the MINI to an A3 they are not the same entertainment status as far as passenger capacity or hauling something.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh when I see someone at a store trying to make something large fit into a MINI and see the poor driver having to have parts of his package protrude from various windows!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

The only time i would compare the two cars for performance
is when your talking about the new cooper gt two seater.
That new cooper has the jcw option and the back seat was removed for weight issues(lighter faster)
I was also looking at the cooper s with the jcw option, they wanted too much money and they wanted me to wait 7 weeks for delivery(factory uk)
Happy i went with the audi lots more raw power mini is cool A3 is just bad ****.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear

I could not decide either....so...I kind of bought one of each. Well, we needed two cars!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

i do not have an a3 yet.. but i am shopping one as a replacement for my '01 volvo s40, but my wife's car is an '06 MCSa (that is MINI speak for a MINI Cooper S /auto)... the Cooper S auto does have paddle shifters which are a godsend for me because it always seemed sacriligeous to buy a MINI without a manual transmission, but my wife doesn't drive stick... doesn't intend to learn... the MINI is a load of fun but it is a MINI afterall (meaning not alot of space).. tons of personality and a nice community of folks driving them (lots of waving and such)...

admittedly, having a MINI makes a second car almost a necessity if you need any room at all... and like another poster mentioned... no room in the back for 2 more adults without seriously compromising the seating positions of the driver and the passenger (especially if you are over 6')...

an obvious difference is also that a3 has quattro... not that i needed to mention that...

not that i care about the "girlie" factor of the MINI, i must admit that when i was out in the car once with one of my buddies... it felt a whole lot girlier for some reason... driving it with my wife (no problem), driving it by myself (no problem - and you do get alot of looks from the ladies) BUT driving it with one of your buddies... ehhh... not really my cup of tea!! : )

another thing to consider - i don't know if it will be the case with the '07 MINIs but we had to wait almost 3 months to receive our car once ordered... in most cases, you don't go to a MINI dealer and pick a new car off the lot and drive away...