Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New engine after only 4 years!! :-/

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs down New engine after only 4 years!! :-/

After being away for a family wedding at the weekend, my A3 1.8T (just under 4 years old), 30k miles, wouldn't start. Engine turning over but didn't seem to engage, with ECP light on.

After getting roadside assistance and a pickup, dropping it off at a local Audi dealership (in the UK), I returned on Monday morning to drop off the keys.

Was told it would initially cost £75 for a initial diagnostics.

Within an hour, I got a call that the diagnostics didn't come back with much (?!?!?) and that they need to take the cylinder heads off to have a proper look, and this will cost £400!!

After another 2 days of waiting (it wasn't booked in so wasn't that fussed), they call again. It needs a new engine!!!

"found pistons and bores to be damaged possibly from the valves hitting them, however confirmed new engine is required due to cylinder bores damage - unable to determine cause"

When I bought the vehicle 1.5 years ago from an approved Audi dealership, they put 12 months warranty on the car. BUT, this ran immediately, and concurrently with the remaining 3 year manufacturers warranty. So I ended up with only 6 months warranty, which ended 6 months ago.

...nice and sneaky of them "sure, we give you 12 months warranty!", but the first 6 months mean absolutely nothing.

Audi UK have advised they will do a good-will gesture, and pay for most of it, but still asking for £700 towards it.

After a trained mechanic friend asked for the full diagnostics, the garage has now gone all secretive, "they're internal documents and we can't give them to customers" - even when they're concerning your vehicle!!

From a prestige brand such as Audi, and a car under 4 years old, with 30k miles on the clock, I would expect Audi to sort it all and not ask me for a penny. Especially when the engine was clearly faulty.

I'm certainly happy they're not asking me for £7,000 - although without any actual evidence, I don't know what's going on, guess I'll have to take it elsewhere when they're finished with it and make sure they actually do fit a new engine.

Totally lost all confidence in Audi.

*rant over

Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

wow, that really sucks. i don't know what laws you have over there across the pond, but we have consumer-protection laws here in the states. audi of america would have probably dealt with this after a few threats of legal action.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

so I finally got the car back yesterday, the engine "looks new", tho I don't trust em as far as I can throw em at the minute, will have a mate look it over.

When I asked the girl dealing with the case if I should be careful, since it's a new engine, etc. and it obviously needs wearing in gently, she responded with "nah, it's not a problem, you don't need to be careful, they're much better these days".

What a joke! so it's either not a new engine, or they're hoping I'll be back in 6 months!!

Case escalated with Audi UK now...