Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Thumbs down noises

hi all,

i have an 07 audi a3 2.0t. i live in chicago and the roads are real bad here. constantly going over irregular roads. anyways when going over rough roads you hear creaks loose parts, rattles. is that the case for all you guys with a3s? seems to be coming from the passenger side mor than the driver side. plus the rear. my girlfriends honda takes these roads even better and its a much quieter solid ride. my a3 sounds like there are a ton of loose parts. secured trunk cover. fixed the suspension shield rattle. but there's still quite a lot of random creaks here and there over rough roads. not quite sure if i can go to the dealer for things like this.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
1st Gear

chu,

i have the same year and make A3 and while i do notice some extra noise on irregular roads, i attribute it more to tire noise. i don't notice any rattles or loose sounding parts in my vehicle.

Josh

Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

I've noticed that when I have stuff in the trunk like a 40 lb. bag of dog food in the trunk, there's a creaking noise coming from the trunk floor. When I take it out, its gone. I think the plastic or styrofoam might be rubbing. Also the seat belt adjustment on the driver side by my left ear makes small noises sometimes. If I push it all the way to the top, it goes away.

You might want to try these things and if all fails, it won't hurt to take it in to the dealership and have them look at it. And by look at it, I mean have the service rep go for a drive with you so they can hear the noises. This way, they can't say, "I didn't hear anything."

Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Rattles and Squeaks

My A3 (same model and year) is squeak and rattle free, even on back dirt roads.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

My 2007 has some infrequent creaks, usually during high or low temperatures. I do have a frequent buzzing that comes from the rear speaker grilles in each door when I am driving over rough roads, the passenger side buzzes in cold weather and the driver side buzzes in warm weather. Its not the sound system, it is the grilles themselves. The service guys couldn't quite get to the problem though, they have checked and test driven my car three times.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Wow! I have an '06 and have to hit dirt and rock roads alot since I live in Montana. The only noise I get is a grunt out of the springs once I have removed more then 50lbs of weight out of the back.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

chusaiyan-

check out this thread from the A3 board on fourtitude.com. it may help.
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3982280

Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 PM

I had a noise coming from the passenger side floor area. Turned out that it was the plastic fuel lines weren't secured very well and that they vibrated against the floor panel. Audi even issued a Technical Service Bulletin for this - so if this is what you are experiencing, the dealer should help you eliminate it.
It's actually an easy fix you can do yourself.
http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/01/...attle-fix.html

Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Wink

thanks people. glad that some of us are experiencing the same. Its just not a very quiet atmosphere inside like you would expect from an audi. I also find differences in rattling in different weather. the floor area on the passenger side rattles in cold weather..like a metallic rattle when the exhaust hits the right frequency. i also think that the middle part of the rear seat is rattling when going over rough roads. I guess there's just way too many loose parts and alot of plastic in our audi a3's! drove an a4 and its interior is just way more quieter. next car probably wont be an audi!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

I think one thing to keep in mind is that all cars will make noises at some point, except for a bentley. They apparently use certain materials that don't make noise when they rub together for the interior (saw that on the tv show "How It's Made"). Any car I have been in ends up making some sort of creaking or vibrating noise at some point, from bmw, audi, honda, lexus, chevy, mercedes, etc. Some just do a better job of minimizing the noise that can occur.