Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

OEM HU Replace w/ Aftermarket!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default OEM HU Replace w/ Aftermarket!?

Ok all been checking every were and there doesn't seem to be a post on this. So lets see if we can make this usefull for all. I'm replacing my head unit and was looking for Single DIN radio face plate To cover up all the extra space from the OEM unit.
Does any one know of places to get these?
Also what have others done about wire harnisess?
All help would be apreciated. Been searching and finding nothing. Not really in the mood to hard wire it up. Its not my first install but in my past VW's the oem is the same size as other HU's. So once we get this figure out and I do the install I will take detailed pictures and post.
Help!
Thanks All.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: OEM HU Replace w/ Aftermarket!?

Hi 4rings,

I have been working on this too. There is a list of faceplates here https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onean...dex.shopscript

Some are single to single din, others are double din to single din with a storage shelf to fill out the rest of the space. According to people here in Taiwan, the only want to get a double din faceplate is to get the one with the storage compartment, and cut it out. Do you have a single din stereo now or have the double din and want to put in a single din aftermarket HU?

The other issue to really consider is anchoring the stereo within the assembly. I have talked to a few shops here (professional quality) and even they said the only way to mount a double din into the audi double din plus slot is to install the faceplate, and 'stick' the HU to the faceplate and improvise in the back-end to keep things attached.

There is also a post here http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2496707 where the guy did some major upgrades to his stereo. Interestingly, he only shows pics of the HU taken at night...so that might be indicative of something.

So far, I have been unable to resolve two fundamental problems that prevent me from changing out my HU
1) The assembly....the Audi slot is simply non-standard, so putting in the 2 din stereo in the slot is tricky in terms of securing it.
2) Because of the extra space of the aesthetics of the solutions I have found are questionable. For example, hacking out the storage compartment of the double din faceplate. Doesn't sound pretty.

Having said that, I have seen pics of Pioneer Avic-3s installed that look pretty good.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks TPE It is a single din unit I have and will be replacing to single din.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

I know the vag site and the forum sit extremly well. But he did a complete swap from speakers to amps. I'm just aming for the head unit. and don't want to be a wire hack so I can then put the stock unit back in when I do plan on trading up which may be in 70k miles. (love my car)
Oh and lucky you for being in a place you can get a TDI A3