Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

power differnce in tdi

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Default power differnce in tdi

do all tdi a3's 170 have a quattro system

cos i though the quattro adds the extra 30bhp from the 140 bhp 2.0 tdi

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: power differnce in tdi

Hi there,

Not sure on all TDIs.

But I drive a 2.0TDI here, no quattro (never snows, and unfortunately, i'm not in the twisty mountains a whole lot!) but my car stock puts out 200HP and massive torque that puts a sweet smile on my face! Not sure what country you are in, but I would look for this engine! AWESOME!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Screw Audi with only giving the good options over seas. I would love to have a new 2.0TDI with quattro here in the states. 40+ MPG and the option of BIG HP and HUGE TQ numbers would be so nice. But we are the US and Oil Runs everything and screw's us as consumers.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Hi 4Ring

I think you are blaming the wrong person. Up until the 2007 model year, the diesel did not meet US particulate emissions standards. Now, they do. So it was a legal issue in North America. I know that in Canada, VW is bringing in the TDI Jetta which is a 140hp version of the 2.0engine I have.

The other issue with TDI in America is the American bias against diesel. Even here, I have an American friend of mine. Took him out in my car, and he was totally blown away by the torque and performance of the car. Then he saw a TDI mini-bus ahead of us and started laughing at how bad diesel was etc etc. I was like...do you know this car is diesel? He couldn't believe it! Audi's diesels are smooth like butter and well insulated from the sound...but I know when I roll the windows down to park I can hear the diesel sound bumping off the walls! To me, and the sweet 'jet-fuel' whiff of emissions I get, are nice!! And...since I've been driving this...I only have to fill my car up 3 times a month! (my 2007 Toyota Yaris 1.5 go nowhere fast required 5-6 times!)

Write Audi US...tell them Americans are not fools....diesels and yellow turn indicators rock!