Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Question about coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about coilovers

So now i saved some money to finally get a coilover and i'm a real noob with cars. I have a 2007 iblis white prem pkg. After getting the coilovers and lowering my car i wouldn't have problem riding with 4 ppl in my car right?( when my parents visit+brother) I live in san francisco. Are these coilovers good? http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3749516

How much for installing them and aligning the wheels? what should i know about it? I did read the sticky many many times...btw

anyknow any good shop in bay area?

Thank you

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Question about coilovers

A couple peeps have them on fourtitude, if I was on a budget I would buy the Koni Coilovers from MJM Autohaus $1150 free shipping, includes a Neuspeed RSB. I emailed them and they said they would give me deal if I didn't want the Neuspeed RSB. The KSports have too many adjustments for my taste. AZ here, no help with Bay Area installers. (email Steve@fogcityperformance.com he may know of someone) Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: azoceanblue

A couple peeps have them on fourtitude, if I was on a budget I would buy the Koni Coilovers from MJM Autohaus $1150 free shipping, includes a Neuspeed RSB. I emailed them and they said they would give me deal if I didn't want the Neuspeed RSB. The KSports have too many adjustments for my taste. AZ here, no help with Bay Area installers. (email Steve@fogcityperformance.com he may know of someone) Good Luck!
what's a RSB? i'm just a casual driver who don't race or speed. just doing it for the pure cleaness look. Looks sexy. maybe i'll add DOPE sticker or no fat chick sticker too. or is that too old for me?? 25 haha

thank for your help though!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

btw where does the RSB go? under the car in the rear? or in the trunk?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Click on the post at the top of the forum labeled:

"A3 Link to the galaxy of the utmost understated wisdom, or Bullsh^t."

It has a great discussion about the rear sway bar (rsb).

Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

I think i'll go with the http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1380

after reading some stuff i think that fits me the most since i'll never take my car to the Track. Also i called "Advanced Audi VW Service " in San francisco and they said they'll charge me $700 for installing and alignment...WTF?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mkimjoon

btw where does the RSB go? under the car in the rear? or in the trunk?
An RSB is a Rear Sway Bar (more accurately called a rear anti-roll bar). A rear suspension brace might go in the trunk between the attachment points of the suspension on each side, although the A3 attachment points are all beneath the body. I doubt that you'd feel the effect of a suspension brace unless you were a good race car driver (hesaputz could speak to this much more accurately from his BMW and Porsche track), but a different rear sway bar will be apparent in most driving conditions if you're sensitive to handling dynamics.

A stiffer (larger diameter) rear bar reduces understeer, a larger front bar increases understeer. So the A3 modding preference is to stiffen the rear bar. AFAIK the Sports suspension on an A3 has larger diameter bars at both ends, compared to Premium and Base suspensions.

You already have an RSB, as well as a front anti-roll bar (FSB). The rear bar on a Sport suspension is 21mm diameter (hollow). They are attached under the car to the chassis in their middle section, and at the ends to moving parts of the suspension. The reduce roll by acting as a torsion spring, and have little effect on the suspension otherwise. Aftermarket bars are adjustable by having multiple attachment holes on each end - the hole farther out makes the bar softer. An aftermarket rear bar is pretty simple to swap, but front bar replacement requires (I've heard) removal or lowering of the front sub-frame.

Here's an excellent description of the differences (4th post down in this thread) between the two best-known aftermarket RSB's - H&R (22mm solid) and Neuspeed(24mm hollow):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...ostid=34932159
PS. I've been trying to post this response for the last 6 days, but keep getting internet “communication errors”. grrrr

Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

thank you very much. That was some nice info i learned