Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Rear-Ended

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Default Rear-Ended

October 1, 2006
WHACK. As I was driving to Barnes and Noble to pick up a book that I was interested in, I noticed an unusual amount of traffic. Interestingly enough, there was an accident on a Sunday afternoon causing the two lane road (192 in Central Florida) to move slowly. As the light turned green I accelerated to normal speed (45 mph) and had to firmly apply the brakes when I saw the guy in front of me stop abruptly. I then proceeded to look in my rear view mirror and notice that the person behind me was not as astute and had not even begun to slow down until she was 70% of my mirror's space. Thinking quickly, I braced myself for impact and pressed hard on the brakes as I saw her coming. When all was said and done, she ended up rear-ending me at 20 mph in a Toyota Corolla. Good thing I saw her, otherwise I would have transfered motion into the trailer hitch of a "duley".

Asessing the Damage-The Car
After I got done swearing uncontrolably and cursing this bitch to hell, I pulled into a parking lot to asess the damage. HOLY CRAP. Two small (smaller than //) were in the rear bumper and accompanied by a few small scuffs. The bumper and car itself were actually in (not-scrutinizingly (sp?)) perfect condition. There was no evidence of anything close to a 20 MPH collision. The bad news for the lady-her Corolla looked awful. Her bumper was sunk in and her hood was dislodged from its normal position. Looked like maybe $800-$1000 in damage.

Asessing the Damage-My mother fuxing neck
Towards the end of the number exchange and police report, I noticed my neck was starting to become soar and pained. I decided to wait a day for a doctor's appt. and hold off on the ER; there's no need for 4 hours of emergency room waiting. This morning (the 2nd) I woke up and my neck really was hurt. The effects of whiplash started to set in and I could feel the tightness and needles on my spine. The doctor perscribed some crappy muscle relaxer and now I am still in pain hoping that tomorrow doesn't bring a inevitable worse neck pain. By the way-She hit me so hard that my sunglasses and hat both flew off when she hit me.

Conclusion
I have been thinking about the claim adjuster appt on Thursday (she has Allstate) and I am thinking I am going to try to get a fat check out of him to finance the chip on. Hopefully he will be giving me >$400 so I can make the reasonable jump to APR. The things that are wrong are: slighty dented bumper in two places, 2-3 paint scuffs, a soft spot (where you can push the bumper in a little) in the center of the bumper. What do you guys think he will offer me? I was thinking I could tell him the bumper will need to be replaced and painted with some touch up work on the body kit. Another scenario is to give the lady an oppurtunity to write me a $500 check and just call it a day (I really liked her and I don't want her insurance to go up. But, the worst scenario is that I have to be a d i ck and get a new bumper, paint it, and have the body kit touched up for a cost near $1k and get it put on her insurance's tab. I really chose this as a last resort because I can certaintly live with the damage. I'd like some input on projected outcomes and estimates from what I have told you. Also, has anyone dealt with the estimate service from Allstate? I understand it as: they give you an offer of a check or you can chose to go to whatever body shop and get it fixed and they will pay. Thanks for all your help.

-Danny

P.S.
My 18th birthday is Wednesday, so this def. puts a cramp in my style. It's hard to get a lapdance if you can't turn your head.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Rear-Ended

Ask the girl to say in your center view. Easier that way.

Now about the accident. SUCKS DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, bumpers are only good up to 5mph. I got rear ended at 30mph before and barely any damage was on the outside, but my insurance adjuster was able to find frame damage and totaled my old corolla. If I were you, dont say and volunteer any info when the AllState guy comes, he might use it against you. Also, be sure to have the car professionaly looked over by another reputable bodyshop that your dealership reccomends. If your neck truly hurts, go see a doctor and keep recipts for this stuff and get her insurance to foot the bill. Neck adjustments and massages from a profession chiropractor will show you how f***ed your neck might be. Also, dont be nice to the lady who hit you, an accident should not be dealth without any emotions, in the end its your body and your suffering. Finally, make sure your 100% satisfied with repairs/compensation. If you ever find anything else down the road, it'll be too late and your stuck with a broken ride.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Default RE: Rear-Ended

Does anyone have any estimates/guesses on how much damage was done? I'm taking her to the Audi dealer Friday for an assessment.