Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Regarding MAFs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Regarding MAFs...

I suppose this should really be in a more general section but I stay where I'm comfortable...

This relates to the new 2.0T FSI and the old 1.8T

What are your thoughts on MAF failures and oiled filters such as K&N or Green? When I first got into the whole 1.8T thing I read many posts over here (UK) about MAFs failing because of oil contamination and that generally oiled filters were a 'bad thing'. The only problem was that over timeI realised I'd never actually come across anyone who had a MAF fail that could categorically say it was because of the filter. I started to get thefeeling that the MAF was generally a weak part and they failed because...well, they failed. This was also the impression I got when speaking to people who actually work on these cars. A bit of a joke as far as they were concerned, the internet rumour mill and all that. It also seemed likely to me that blaming an aftermarket filter was a good get out for VAG when it came to warranty claims.

Now I'm starting to hear/read the whole story again with the 2.0T FSI but I swear that everyone who posts starts with 'I've heard that...', it's never 'My MAF failed because.... and here's the proof'.I've already had a bit of grief (not on here) about my Carbonio/K&N combo and I was just interested in what you guys thought. Mainly because you're xxxx miles away and seem to have a slightly different take on things.

Can I also say that I am aware that if after cleaning your filter you then dip it in a bucket of oil and still dripping fit it to your car, that it would be a bad idea. I'm not daft. Just curious.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Default RE: Regarding MAFs...

things to consider, total secondary air removal/ O2 sensors/cats/egr system ( removal being the point ) do some research its quite simple really

Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Any chance you could post that again but in English?

Old 03-04-2007, 05:48 PM

LOL

Now that's totally funny! You're both UK members and can't understand each other.

I've had a lot of information from the K&N people about this issue. Not one documented case where the MAF failed due to an oiled filter set-up. I was the prototype for the K&N CAI for the 2.0T FSI and had a very long discussion with the tech about this subject. The MAF on the 1.8T and the 1.9 TDI had problems due to a poorly designed part. The failure rate was the same with stock air boxes as it was with the K&N filters. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Once again you get my opinion for free. I think that's worth sending me your Quattro set-up or something? I might even trade you for one of my cookbooks. You'd be the first to have one in the UK.

Cheers!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

He's speaking techie. A dialect I have a lot of trouble with.

Your thoughts seem to echo my own. In my opinion it does seem to be one of those forum favourites. Oiled filter = MAF trouble. And the source always seems to be 'I read it somewhere'. Personally I'm not worried, I ran a K&N panel filter and later a Green cone filter with an ABD induction kiton my 1.8T My wife runs a Green panel filter in her remapped TDi Polo. We've never had any trouble at all.

I would still like to hear other people's opinions though.

Re: you and the whole Quattro thing. I went outside with my spoon and my 13mm spanner and it looked a bit tricky. Shipping would also be a little problematic. Send me one of your cook books, I'll give it a once over and let you know whether it's worth it. Until then I'll continue to give loss of traction no thought at all. Especially powering out of corners just that little bit earlier than my 2WD brethren

Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 PM

If you can't remove the Quattro with a spoon and 13mm spanner, then you're not trying hard enough! Just let me know when you have it out and I'll give you my FedEx shipping number. BTW, if you want a cookbook then let me know your address.

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I never fried a MAF until I used K and N filters. Lost one in a Volvo, and one in a BMW, both after about 75k with an oiled filter. I maintained themmore often than is recommended.

I won't use them anymore. My experience isn't conclusive, but I know when it's time to rethink things. Read the tests on filter efficiency versus airflow, and you're likely to conclude, as I did, that they're just not worth the trouble.