Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Replacement Stereo for iPod Folder Browsing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Replacement Stereo for iPod Folder Browsing

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice from anyone who has had the same experience as me and looked into replacing there factory fitted stereo.

I got my Audi A3 in Feb 2011. It has the Audi Concert stereo and I also got the iPod connector and telephone prep (Bluetooth). To say I was dissapointed with the stereo > iPod interface is an understatement. The fact that you have to prepare up to 6 playlists and can't access the folder structure is poor but my own fault for not checking it out before buying.

I can't believe that Audi don't allow or even have any decent stereos to replace this with. I went out in a friends new Golf GTD and there stereo is fully integrated to iPod, Phone, multi function steering wheel.

Has anyone replaced there stereo with a double din unit that allows navigation of iPod folders but also still retains the existing telephone and multi functions steering wheel functionality?

Appreciate any help on this you could give me. Halfords has been the only place close to giving details on a replacement unit.

Although it just occured to me, would a Golf stereo work in the Audi A3?

Thanks in advance,

Stewart

Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Have you read the manual that came with your stereo? I can access the folder structure fine, and I don't have any playlists set up. Most of the time I set it to random mix and the only slightly annoying thing is that I have to push the Mix button every time I go for another ride.

I just received my A3 TDI on May 3/2011.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Hi Supercow,

Thanks for the reply. Is that with the Concert head unit and iPod connector or did you get the MDI interface installed?

Thanks,

Stewart

Old 05-12-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Premium Plus
MMI w/IPod Interface
Convenience Pkg.
Sunroof

On my initial drive home, I couldn't figure out how to do a mix of my entire library or folder. It didn't seem to be working, but I found the answer in the manual. The default is to have the repeat range off, and when I changed it, the mixing problem was solved.

I never had a problem moving through the artists and albums though. The structure is the same as it is on my iPhone. It's just that I had 2100+ songs on my iPhone and I couldn't move down to the artists and folders easily that were later in the alphabet.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

Instead of getting a new headunit, you could strip out the OEM iPod interface & replace it with something like one of the Dice/Dension units; they should allow you to navigate all the folders, deal with more than 6 playlists, etc.

I've got the Dension GW33AC1 in my 2010 A3 with Concert II+, Sirius, & Bose. I don't use it with an iPod, but I do use a 32GB USB thumbdrive, and the Dension has no problems navigating the folder structure, and you don't lose the Bluetooth or steering wheel control functionality.